Rolloff Vs Schneider

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by J-Dub, Apr 30, 2017.

1. J-Dub

J-Dub Light Load Member

Apr 12, 2017
    Georgia, USA
    As the title says. Got to make a decision by tomorrow. Local rolloff company, 12-14 hours a day 5 days a week. Versus. Schneider regional home every weekend for the 36 hour reset. I did the math, about the same pay rate weekly (at the minimum Schneider guaranteed miles a week of 1800 miles).

My dilemma. Yeah rolloff is home daily, with enough time to shower, eat and sleep. Class B work. Schneider is class A work and I can put my time in and go local with saia, Estes, etc after a year. Rolloff, no opportunity to move up really.

What would you do? I'm a new cdl holder (with all endorsements even hazmat) and want to put my cdl to good use and not waste time. Have wife and 3 daughters. That's another deciding factor. She said "do wat you want to do" but I'm torn here.

Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Which job has better benefits?

G13Tomcat and J-Dub Thank this.
  4. J-Dub

J-Dub Light Load Member

Apr 12, 2017
    Georgia, USA
  5. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    I say if Schneider has better benefits and will result in
    a local job with Saia, Estes, ABF down the road then that's what I would do. Just make sure family is ok with you being gone even if it's a few days at a time.

Bob Dobalina and J-Dub Thank this.
  6. Longarm

Longarm Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Schneider hands down.

Got the A exp. and move on.

DC818, Bob Dobalina and J-Dub Thank this.
  7. Ricco1689

Ricco1689 Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NY
    All things considered, pay is the same, better bennies and home at least every weekend. Get that trailer experience. You'll be able to write your own ticket down the line.

J-Dub Thanks this.
  8. flybynight12

flybynight12 Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2015
    slc
    this isnt hands down op if you live in a metropolitian area roll off may be better it could open up the door to garbage driver for waste management or something along the lines of that

Dumdriver, Suspect Zero and J-Dub Thank this.
  9. Aradrox

Aradrox Heavy Load Member

Jan 21, 2016
    I would probably be tempted at the rolloff simply cause that is what my dad drove and it would remind me of riding with him he passed In 02

J-Dub Thanks this.
  10. Badmon

Badmon Heavy Load Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Deep south
    Don't be fooled man. You have a class A CDL. You can ALWAYS get a class A job somewhere down the line if you choose. There are tons of rolloff semi-trailers around GA. I don't want to hear any crap about lack of experience. Class B experience is still CDL experience and counts for something plus I am a firm believer in where theres a will theres a way. Thats really a tough one though but if it were me with 3 girls at home I'd take the rolloff job

street beater, Suspect Zero and J-Dub Thank this.
  11. Landincoldfire

Landincoldfire Heavy Load Member

Sep 27, 2015
    New Holland, Pa
    Family first! You will have a better chance in maintaining your relationship if you are home more.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.