Route from Chicago to Philly in December

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Greyhound1, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Greyhound1

Greyhound1 Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2019
    Not a trucker but looking for some tips. Driving to Philly from Chicago in December.
    I think I'll avoid 80 because of weather. What's the best route to pa through ohio? Supposed to stop in Akron as of right now but can change to Toledo or Cleveland.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    if you were driving from Florida to Philly, i'd say you might not have too many worries.

but your specific route, snows can hit at anytime, i cannot think of a good route to avoid weather problems in December.

4. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Your best bet is probably just straight across the turnpike. I used to do Philly to Cleveland to Akron and it was just easier most of the time and they stay on top of the weather as about as good as possible.

5. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Well,As a Trucker- Ive done every route to Philly- If your just driving a car- Follow turnpike all the way.

The Sons a blitches really screw over trucks these days- so we change things up-

Ive even taken I-65 to I-70 to I-79-To I-68 back to I-70 over to Baltimore-Catch I-95 up to Philadelphia

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Believe it or not despite the additional tolls (Cars are CHEAP...) you run the TPike down to Breezewood, then I-70 east through Maryland until Baltimore and then 695 around north Loop to I-95 to Philly.

You will find this is mostly highway Alternative to I-95 in Maryland would be US 1. You can do US1 in the car and that is not going to be a problem.

I-95 takes you deep into Philly to the Center City and all points NE of there along the Delaware river.

Remember that Philly is NOT the City of Brotherly love. Things since my time up there has NOT improved. It's particularly dangerous in the central and NE section of town. However if you run across some of the food trucks near the Stadium try some of that cheese steak. You cannot beat a authentically local made sandwich of that kind there.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  7. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    C'mon man the northeast is fine lol. Kensington and open air drug dealing in the Badlands.......man I don't miss that at all.

8. just get on the toll road and go all the way how to Gary to the Indiana toll road to the Ohio turnpike to the Pennsylvania turnpike..
    or do it old school out of Chicago get on the US30 Lincoln Highway and drive until you see the liberty Bell..
    be careful of those Pennsylvania backroads though on US 30 the twisty turns but make sure to stop off and Amish Country out there in Lancaster..

gentleroger and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  9. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Ughhh Amish country. Never understood the draw there. Me and the wife moved up there years ago and it is more jammed up with tourists than Clearwater. It's fields, cows, and weirdos in hats....how do people make a vacation of that? Lol. We lived in Gap PA about 20 mns east of Lancaster city on 340 where all the tourist crap is.....god I don't miss that. 50mph road you are lucky to be able to do 30 on in the summer. Now that we are back in Florida I'm 45 mns from Disney and 45 minutes from Clearwater and no where near as much tourist traffic lol. Makes no sense.

10. used to be real nice out there in the Lancaster countryside 35 years ago back in the witness movie days..
    yes indeed I know Gap well good Old Highway 41..least be a little tiny Cafe. they're always stop their back when I was running cheese out of Wisconsin down to herrs in Nottingham potato chips. then come back up to the now-defunct rrdonnelley had 2
    printing plants in Lancaster area. now they got none but back then everybody backhauled from out of eastern Pennsylvania seemed out of Donnelly I'd go back to Chicago then head back up to Wisconsin and get some more cheese...
    Now the problem with 30 and so much is because of Jack the price of the toll road up so much more and more people are coming out of York and Gettysburg and just taking 30 all the way across

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  11. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Did you take 10 up to the turnpike from there? I lived at the corner of 10&340 where you go down the 6% hill and make a right at the light to continue on 10. The placement of my house actually came up in another thread about straight pipes and loud Jake's at all hours of the night lol. The stone wall in front of my house was the one that all those guys would drag their trailers across making the right lol. As of two years ago when we moved back that cheese ship was still going strong.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.