Route help Allentown, PA to Farmingdale, NY

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by F4T6UY, Oct 16, 2019.

1. F4T6UY

F4T6UY Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Very South Texas
    Ha. Just about to roll out. I’ll give a dirty drawers report after I get there.

Ruthless, thanks for confirming my route, and thanks to everybody for the input.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. F4T6UY

Oct 24, 2017
    Very South Texas
    Currently sitting in Farmingdale. I crossed the Verrazano about 0500. A little congested, but not time killing traffic. Glad you mentioned the low bridge signs, because that prepped me for ‘em. Once I crossed the bridge I noticed the “trucks must exit” signs on the 278 and quickly fell in behind a set of doubles that was in no hurry and let him hold my hand all the way to Farmingdale.

BTW, WTF with all low bridge warnings in NE??

Now I just gotta wait for a reload and figure out the best way to exit this circus tent during prime traffic happenings.

4. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Hope the wind wasn't bad. I guess a lot of electric out from Maine to NC according to my phone weather report. Lot of 50m wind gusts still in the Boston area.

Do you have a laptop, or just rely on GPS and phone maps? Now's the time to plot your escape route. Husband hates NJ. Haven't been to Queens area in years.

He just made his way down from Harrison AR, headed to Clarksville, AR on all the backroads south. Love scenic, fog and curvy, hill roads.

5. F4T6UY

Oct 24, 2017
    Very South Texas

All tail or headwind coming across the bridge, so no issue there.

I use my phone (both Google and iPhone maps) and use the company Rand McNally ELD to verify the route is truck friendly, but it’s outdated and slow, so I rely on my phone once I’ve verified the route. I also have an atlas, but generally don’t pull it out much because our routes are usually pretty straight forward. I’m pretty ocd about route planning and had, per usual, satellite imaged my route off of 495 into Farmingdale and saw plenty of big trucks on the roads I needed.

What threw me for a loop on this on, was that the ELD would not offer me a truck route to my destination.

Still waiting to get offloaded (12:30 appt) so I don’t know where I’m heading after this other than I’ll most likely have to traverse the belly of the beast and be shаt out the back end.

FoolsErrand and Cat sdp Thank this.
  6. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    I do the main figuring on mapping at home for the hubby, used to ride with him in 2008. He's been to Hunt's Point a couple of times only and I only drag out the laminated road Atlas when in dire need or in NJ area. We just had a car Garmin back then to use, tried to keep the route on yellow roads if possible, and then follow the last directions from the shipper/receiver, if they had any of course. It is handy to have a laptop with Google maps where you have more control over zooming in and scrolling the roads. I look at the roads too to see if there are any trucks on them. You can also see railroad tracks and waterways like rivers and creeks. I always try to make sure of low weight, low train trestle, etc. If a road looks like it is narrow in places like PA, then scan it going off the ramp and watch for no truck signs.

I have used the Google maps on my phone a few times going to places in the car and it is neat, but unless you are sure it isn't truck friendly. Truck navigation systems built in maybe better than they were in 2008, but I know they weren't accurate then and would lead you allover creation to go from point A to point B.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    GWB out. Forget the rest. Unless you are bound for Albany, in this case it's the Major Deegan above GWB all the way to the Thruway.

Newburgh and Tappan Zee (There is a new one replacing the blown up Zee with a god awful wordy name...) are alternates.

DO NOT attempt to cross into Manhatten there isnt anything there for you and your big truck.

Image is towers pre-attack in better times from the interchange for the GWB via crossbronx, throgs and white bridges.

towers.jpg

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  8. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Farmingdale from Allentown and they are telling you to cross Verrazano Bridge? Isn't that outta route?

9. F4T6UY

Oct 24, 2017
    Very South Texas
    I didn’t see this post before I took off, but they dispatched me to Baltimore area, so I just decided to retrace my steps back across the Verrazano.

Contrary to my windless morning crossing, I had the joy of being empty with a heavy crosswind on my afternoon crossing. Good times.

Yup. I just hold this here steering wheel, kind sir. I start asking too many questions that make sense and they’re gonna think I got smarts and offer me an office job before I’m ready to accept it.

NavigatorWife and Cat sdp Thank this.
  10. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Lol I understand. I saw you made it out in one piece. A few more times through NYC and it becomes 2nd nature lol

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Just enjoy, Boston and Maine are experiencing Cat two Hurricane conditions tonight in general.

F4T6UY and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.