Route help! Oklahoma City to San Diego.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by red70tvhs, Sep 12, 2018.

1. red70tvhs

red70tvhs Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2018
    Alright guys, I'm on dreaded recap and have a pretty hot load going to San Diego. Right now, my route is 40 to 17 to 8 into CA 125 down to the border area. Custom house plaza I believe. I'm currently 50 miles east of OKC. I'll have 10 hours and 50 minutes to run after a pre trip. Full tank to run on. Dispatch is playing ball and helping me save time by not hitting our particular fuel stops. Do you guys know any shortcuts at all?

Tomorrow night I'll have around the exact same amount of time. My tractor (18 kenworth t680) is limited to 67mph and my gross weight is 66k.

Appointment time is 8am but that's impossible after I got caught in a krap storm fleeing my pickup point in NC. I just need to pull in sometime Friday morning with enough time to go off duty. Lol. The speed limit in commiefornia is bs too.

Any advice is appreciated.

NavigatorWife and Lepton1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Nope, not your problem, nothing you can do about the delay.

4. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I can think of a few different wast to get there, but nothing that will be any faster.

Send a message to "dispatch": haste makes waste.

@Dave_in_AZ

red70tvhs Thanks this.
  5. red70tvhs

Jun 11, 2018
    We're reassessing the situation after my run tonight. I looked up the receiver. Export place. They are open Saturdays so hopefully they wouldn't be too pissed given the situation on the east coast. Getting to San Diego shouldn't be a problem. Just making it to the receiver without running out of time. Violation city. I'd just rather not lose the miles if we have to relay it. This run will put me around 3600 miles for the week lol. Yeah I'm being greedy. Lol. May just have to bite the bullet and lose a couple hundred quid.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  6. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    If your company doesn't have a problem with tolls, look long and hard at the following route (I run this on at least a weekly basis from OKC to Midland/Odessa):

Take I-44 westbound (south) to Wichita Falls, TX.

Take US-277 west/southbound (all four lane divided highway) to Anson. At the traffic light (only one you will see) turn right (west) on US-180.

Go about 30 miles to Roby. At the four way stop (the first stop sign you will see) turn left (south) on TX-70.

Just before Sweetwater you will start to drop down a steep hill that curves to the right. Drop some gears and fire up the Jakes. As you pass under the railroad tressle put on your left turn signal and make that turn to stay on TX-70 with as much speed as possible up a steep hill.

In two miles you come to the second and last stop sign. Turn left and get into the right lane. Go around the curve and exit onto the I-20 westbound merge.

Now take I-20 to the I-10 merge and split off on I-8 before Phoenix.

This route has much lower elevation and would totally avoid the Phoenix cluster ####.

Truckermania and red70tvhs Thank this.
  7. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    All I know is that 125 (toll road) is a real time saver when you near the final destination. You can pay online later if i recall right. If I think you are going near Otay Mesa or so. It won't save you time over what your GPS says, it will just allow you to maintain that time.

i-805 is a joke.

red70tvhs and Lepton1 Thank this.
  8. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    ^^^ I concur ^^^

red70tvhs and skellr Thank this.
  9. red70tvhs

Jun 11, 2018
    I deff planned on CA 125 and paying the 7 bucks. No way I'd make it going around.

Lepton1 - I'm pulling up the map now. Maybe that can shave just enough time off.

Lepton1 and skellr Thank this.
  10. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    One thing about my route suggestion is that it will avoid long slogs on steep hills on I-40 and I-25. Most of the run will be cruising. The OKC to Midland/Odessa portion is ALL freeway speed except in Anson, Roby, and making the final stop and turn near Weatherford.

skellr Thanks this.
  11. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I just looked at the Google Maps options from just before the I-40/I-44 junction in OKC. According to GM it's almost two hours longer using my route, BUT GM estimates times based on what a car can do (travel the speed limit).

There's no way I would drop gears and pull hills on that I-40/I-25 gig, let alone deal with stop and crawl in Phoenix...

...BUT it might depend on what time of day you get through Albuquerque or Phoenix. What time are you going to start your clock, and where are you east of OKC?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.