Route planning

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Doealex, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Doealex

Doealex Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    0E2E80D3-A198-4194-B6F4-AA5FF1DBAC62.png Recently noticed that Google Maps overpass heights are blurred now.
    How do you guys plan local Pickups and deliveries in neighborhoods that you are not familiar with.
    I think this guy at ADESA New Jersey learned a hard lesson of pre planning his route and paying attention to overpass heights.
    https://cdllife.com/2019/semi-truck-can-opener-crash-caught-on-dash-cam/

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Not all of them, anyways. Can't believe they'll spend the time to develop an algorithm to blur them all, but who knows?

Capture.PNG

Doealex Thanks this.
  4. RjBradlow

RjBradlow Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Florida
    Before GPS devices existed... (Still Works)
    Call the shipper or consignee for directions.
    Call the fire department, garbage waste managenent company, other local trucking companies.
    You are looking for locals with high profile large trucks to help you, also the local police can help you stay on truck routes.

Last but not least... KEEP your eyes peeled for ALL truck related signs and drive slower.

interpreter and CrappieJunkie Thank this.
  5. Doealex

Doealex Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    The question was about POVs (Privately Owned Vehicle). I doubt that the customer knows about overpass heights in his neighborhood and a lot of times they are not present to bring their car to alocal supermarket or another business near highway. Sometimes I find my height over 13.6’ but under 14’ that I can safely travel on most highways east of PA. Once I get to NJ overpass heights are not even marked if they higher than 13.6’. Never called local police or fire departments but I have a feeling that they (at least in NJ) will not let you travel in their neighborhood if you’re over 13.6’.
    Some of my colleagues leave their trucks at supermarkets and call UBER to get a car but I am nervous about getting tickets (for leaving truck unattended in private property) or getting towed.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  6. Snow Monster

Snow Monster Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2019
    Doealex Thanks this.
  7. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Call the company amd ask for directions. Most places have an option of pressing a button thqt transfers you to a recorded message giving you secific directions. I never used GPS. Too unreliable.

8. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Get a trucker version GPS my Rand McNalley has saved my butt many times because of height issues, like around San Antonio. Sometimes it looks like it running you out of the way but it is usually to keep you legal and undamaged.

9. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    You can also look in the front of the Truckers Rand Mc Nally Atlas. The list the low bridges in the front of the sections.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  10. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I think its a side effect. They don't intentionally blurr road signs. It just happens when they need to blurr license plates and peoples faces. The software that does it just isn't that picky yet.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.