Routing to Long Island?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by movingToNY, Jun 2, 2023.

1. movingToNY

movingToNY Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2023
    Our moving company doesn't believe commercial trucks are allowed onto Long Island, but from what I know, they're only not allowed on the Parkways. To prove them wrong, they are asking us to find the route for them.

Could someone please help suggest routes to Lydia Pl and Bertha Dr in Baldwin and Sutton Ct in Deer Park that are okay for semi trucks?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Deer park relatively easy 495east(Long Island expat) exit 51
    Then depending on size of truck work your way over...All legal
    Baldwin lil tougher..and I think you’re actually looking for Baldwin Harbor
    So....depending on where your comin from
    Best plan is work you way to JFK and pick up 27....Becomes Sunrise Hiway at city limit...,looks like south on Milborn down into Harbor neighborhood

D.Tibbitt and Hatt91 Thank this.
  4. Hatt91

Hatt91 Light Load Member

May 18, 2018
    Yeah, I agree with all that.

It depends on where you're coming. If you're coming from south or central jersey, you can cross over Staten Island and take the BQE east to 495 E to 678 south. Any further north and you can try to take the GWB to the Cross Bronx to the Whitestone Bridge.. If you're coming from New England just take 95 down to the Whitestone to 678 when you're going to Baldwin.

Take that all the way down to NY-27, S. Conduit Ave. headed east and that turns into the Sunrise Highway once you cross from Queens into Nassau County. All legit truck routes, I've done it hundreds of times.

When you go to Deer Park, you can take the Whitestone to the Van Wyck or I prefer the Throgs Neck to the Clearview to 495 E.

D.Tibbitt and Cat sdp Thank this.
  5. Sharky88

Sharky88 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Gee I wonder if anyone told my family that.... we ran a moving business out of long Island for almost 50 years

6. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    The problem on Long Island is crossing the railroad that splits the island. Almost every crossing is posted under 13'6" but is actually plenty tall enough for 13'6". I was inexperienced in the middle of a snow storm and couldn't find my way across, and later realized why. New York City and it's associated boroughs and LI have a weird thing where unless it's posted ACTUAL you can add a foot to the clearance numbers. If you use routing software you should be perfectly safe using 12'6" to route properly on truck routes.

7. Born2win

Born2win Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2022
    495 east to 135 south to 27

8. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
  9. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

Do you want directions? Or are you just looking for verification that it’s a HUGE red flag that a moving company doesn’t think you can get on or off Long Island with a truck?

bzinger, Cattleman84 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  10. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Medium Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    Who dafuq are these people? Literally THOUSANDS of trucks drive the L.I.E. every_frikken_day. I'd be looking for a better job if these jamokes think that something like 5 million people are unreachable by trucks! What a bunch of schnooks.......

11. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Medium Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    That's true essentially everywhere in the entire state of New York. They want to leave room for snow buildup in their clearance markings.

MadScientist Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.