Run when you want???

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Gonzo1300, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Gonzo1300

Gonzo1300 Light Load Member

Sep 30, 2013
    With hotshot do company's like Bennett Transport and Acme do you guys get to run when you want as far as hometime or if that is what your worried about is it better to just do your own thing? You know something like Snyder's Choice program or Landstar for big trucks. Long story short the company that I have worked at for 9 years is closing up and I'm trying to choose between hotshot which I have been doing and big truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. UturnGirl

UturnGirl Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Texas
    All I know about hot shot is from a friend who tried it. Spent a lot of money on equipment then went broke because he could never get a backhaul for the small capacity.

Oldironfan and Gonzo1300 Thank this.
  4. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    UturnGirl. That’s a shame. Sounds like your friend was either working with the wrong outfit, running the wrong equipment, or running into really bad areas? Even if he was unloading in bad areas he should’ve been able to find something before bouncing all the way back home. Just curios, did your friend turn down loads that didn’t take him right back home? You see that a lot in this business, where drivers refuse loads if they don’t take them right back home. Rarely ever works out for them.

Gonzo, I’d be surprised if one of those companies you mentioned would lease you on if you need to be home often. Try looking for a local company running short distances. You might get lucky.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  5. Gonzo1300

Gonzo1300 Light Load Member

Sep 30, 2013
    I don't have to be home often something like 7 days out or so. I was just curious how the hotshots work with getting good dispatched.

6. UturnGirl

UturnGirl Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Texas
    I believe you are right on both counts. He was out of OKC and he did expect turn around immediately. I don't think he thought it through well. Of course I also think the recruiter/company told him what he wanted to hear to get him to buy their equipment.

flatbedcarrier Thanks this.
  7. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California

Hear that all the time, It’s best to just be honest about this type of work. A lot of companies out there will tell new guys exactly what they’re wanting to hear just so they can make a few bucks off of them. Meanwhile a guy goes $50,000 to $70,000 in debt getting set up based on what the he's been told. And when the guys goes belly up, the company he works with doesn’t lose a minutes sleep over it.

Myself, most of the guys I talk to quickly change their mind about this type of work. That’s because I tell them the truth about it. I won’t even take a guy on here if he doesn’t agree to stay out working 3 to 4 weeks straight before taking a week off. I don’t want to keep a guy out from home that long but with over 35 years experience in this business I know sometimes that’s what it takes.

Most people thinking about becoming a Owner Operator, whether it be a Independent Owner op, or a leased Owner op, they think they’ll be able to work at their leisure, and at the same time make more money. Sometimes you can but its a big mistake to start out in this business thinking that. They need to work harder than they did as a company driver at first to get ahead. Then, and only then can they back off a little, that’s provided everything is going well, and they plenty of cash sitting in their bank account. What most new guys don’t understand is, work can slow down at any given time, and if they don’t have enough money in the bank to carry them through the slow spell, they’re out of business. Same goes for having break downs, they can happen even with brand new equipment. Warranties are great, but they don’t cover your down time, and payments still have to be made. If you don’t have a decent amount of money in the bank you can quickly get behind to the point that you can’t recover from it.

8. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    7 days out is a regional job.

9. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California

Will your 7 day out plan work? It will depend on a few things. The big question is will what you be earning cover all expenses. Not just truck related expenses, I’m talking about every bill that you have and still leave you some profit to deposit in your bank account.

Gonzo1300 Thanks this.
  10. SleepyJ77

SleepyJ77 Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2018
    I'm all over the place in this job thing. Currently running loca

11. SleepyJ77

SleepyJ77 Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2018
    Darn button.... lol!! Running locally now but we may be moving once again so was looking at downsizing the equipment and do hot shot with maybe a Freightliner M2 Sport Chassis. And ideas on a good company that offers steady work? Thanks for the help

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.