Runaway Ramp Technique

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Criminey Jade, May 25, 2018.

1. Criminey Jade

Criminey Jade Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Not Colorado Anymore
    I got an interesting question today. What's the best way to enter a runaway ramp?

My training regarding runaway ramps is don't put yourself in that situation in the first place, so I didn't really have an answer.

Let's say the ramp is one of those loose gravel lined incline ramps on WB I-70 at Eisenhower or Vail Pass. A driver lines up after brake fade and he has some braking left, but knows they won't last. Should he throw everything at the brakes right before entering the gravel, brake in the gravel or let 'er swim and concentrate on steering? Would you change the technique for flatbed loads or liquid bulk tanks?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    With huge flames shooting out the back of the truck?.....

4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

The runaway ramps will stop you without any technique or applying your last bit of brakes. The trouble you might encounter is getting to the ramp with other traffic on the road. Car drivers are like a steel curtain in the left lane staring at their phones, if the runway ramp is on left side. The slow trucks are like a steel curtain in the right lane if the runaway ramp is to the right. 10% of drivers have and/or use a CB so I'd worry more about making it through traffic than getting stopped by the ramps. You will stop in the gravel or sand pit regardless of what you do IF you get to them. Just more reason to drive like your decisions have consequences.

5. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    If your heading into a ramp, about the only thing you want to do is try to be as straight as possible. Then keep a firm but not death grip on the wheel and hold it as straight as possible. The gravel will take care of the rest.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I’d have to second what @Espressolane said.

When you hit the soft surface, try to make sure you have ZERO bend in your truck, or you may very flip over.

snowlauncher, Criminey Jade and KB3MMX Thank this.
  7. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I've heard make sure that seat belt is on tight because you are going for one heck of a ride...

stwik, wore out, tucker and 1 other person Thank this.
  8. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    It might be wise to stick it in neutral as well just before you hit the sand

9. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Have yet to see a truck go past the end of a ramp. Some have come close, but still did not get passed the end.
    It will be a less than fun ride.

To add to this. Dont do anything other than hold the line.
    Once in the gravel, dont use brakes or throttle, just ride it out. It will stop you.

10. Txdriver77

Txdriver77 Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Texas
    grab on to that oh s### handle and enjoy the ride

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    And expect to be picking gravel out of it for about a year.

stwik, Criminey Jade and TripleSix Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.