Running Canada OTR vs USA.

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Canadianhauler21, Dec 17, 2020.

1. skipgears

skipgears Medium Load Member

Aug 8, 2020
    BC
    And that's why they call 'em .. the good ole' days! HA!
    Elogs are killing all the profit, and fun.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DaytonTD

DaytonTD Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2019
    Edmonton, Alberta
    So what is the punishment if you get caught?

4. skipgears

Aug 8, 2020
    BC
    In America they mince you down with seasoning and stuff you up into a turkey. But If you bribe hard enough, the president will grant you a Thanksgiving pardon (right after he pardons himself)

aussiejosh Thanks this.
  5. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    You are correct, with the cross border reefer game, we do a lot of empty miles. So I can be delivering in Phoenix AZ, and go Empty to LA, Nogales, El Paso, Nor Cal or Aguila (as an example), then back to Canada. Sometimes we do 2 picks, usually in the same state, sometimes not; then back to Canada. This is one of the reasons I love reefer! lots of paid MT miles, and going to lots of cool places.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  6. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    I'm from Nova Scotia, if I could find a once a week trip to Toronto and back that paid half decent I'd take it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately most carriers know the owner ops that want to stay canada only will take a hair cut to do it, so the pay sucks. I've thought about selling my truck and driving for somebody, but I've been self employed most of my life and I KNOW I make a bad employee.. I'm bad enough at being a broker. If you can do it, I would. Until then, I'll be headed south every week.

Canadianhauler21 Thanks this.
  7. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    You can do multiple drops and multiple picks. You can do drop and hook, the trailer you hook, you must leave with.
    I can drop in south Carolina, pick up a Mexico load in North Carolina, (a bonded load) drop it in a free trade zone in Larado, hook a load out of mexico drop in north Carolina, grab an mty, load it in South Carolina, head back to canada.
    No load is started and terminating in the US. One end of it is coming, or going, to Canada or Mexico.

8. skipgears

Aug 8, 2020
    BC
    Interesting how Europe has united, yet we still treat eachother like azzholes (US/Canada/Mex). Interstating needs to go away. We need to adapt DOT rules and run cross continent open board. Nice dream.

9. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    My boss showed me the rate from Toronto to Halifax which was $3400. But the load back only pays $1800. I guess the company makes money on one side of the trip.

It's honestly not a bad run.

Phantom Trucker and Elroythekid Thank this.
  10. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    The return is a little thin but it could work.

stacks and Canadianhauler21 Thank this.
  11. Condi

Condi Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2012
    You go there and come back and the week is over. Pay fuel, insurance, maintenance and you left with less than driver wage

skipgears and BigHossVolvo Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.