Running doubles on Monday

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Criminey Jade, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Criminey Jade

Criminey Jade Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Not Colorado Anymore
    I was asked to run doubles on Monday through Wednesday of next week. I practiced linking and swapping this afternoon but I couldn't take it out of the yard. Any hangman's tips for Monday? The guy that I worked with told me to hand position and connect everything and then bump back and connect to finish. It works, but doesn't feel right. The jaws closed, but I never felt connected.

I have to have someone check my work before I pull out on Monday, so that makes me feel a little better. Still... yuck. And it's going to snow.

x#1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hi CJ, wiggle wagons, hey? I had to get my D/T endorsement once , but refused to pull those things. I give you a lot of credit, but I've heard if you are used to one wagon, doubles may freak you out. I don't want to discourage you, but there's a reason those things are always toppled over. Give it a try, you never know, it may work out, and whether we like it or not, it is the wave of the future. Just make sure you bring some clean underwear with. Remember, you can't back up, it's like pushing a chain. Good luck, dear.

4. Glp

Glp Medium Load Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Oakland, CA
    its pretty easy. you can take tighter corners

5. Menehune

Menehune Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2011
    [QUOTE="semi" retired;4460329]Hi CJ, wiggle wagons, hey? I had to get my D/T endorsement once , but refused to pull those things. I give you a lot of credit, but I've heard if you are used to one wagon, doubles may freak you out. I don't want to discourage you, but there's a reason those things are always toppled over. Give it a try, you never know, it may work out, and whether we like it or not, it is the wave of the future. Just make sure you bring some clean underwear with. Remember, you can't back up, it's like pushing a chain. Good luck, dear.[/QUOTE]

Contrary to your beliefe I have known drivers who could back up a set of doubles. Myself never got the hang of it, but thats me. Saw one guy back a set from the street to a dock.

6. Glp

Glp Medium Load Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Oakland, CA
    i backed a set about 6 feet once thats the best i could do haha

chalupa Thanks this.
  7. Menehune

Menehune Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Like one said they track a lot easier then a long box. Once you get the hang of hooking and breaking them get into a routine. Do it step by step each time hooking and breaking. Be sure to climb unter the back box and check the connection after a pull test. Sometimes they dont fully hook and you get a few miles down the road and they let go. All in all it is easy, just set up a routine for hooking and breaking and always do it the same way.

8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    " Sometimes they don't fully hook, and you get a few miles down the road and they let go"? I've heard enough.:biggrin_2554:

9. Joews

Joews Light Load Member

Jun 14, 2014
    The best advice for pulling doubles is hold the wheel straight and don't look in the mirror.:biggrin_25522:

Hammer166, rodknocker, chalupa and 2 others Thank this.
  10. quatto

quatto Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2013
    The Bluest State
    It's easier to back a C dolly setup than an A dolly. Don't work too hard moving the dolly around---use the tractor for that. Make sure the pin arm is fully closed and there's no gap in the 5th wheel plate. Hooking up for me was easier if you first placed the dolly about 1 foot from the back trailer. It doesn't give the dolly time to move out of line with the kingpin as you back up. Put a glove or flashlight (if it's night time) on the ground to help you line up with the dolly. Check your lights using one turn signal at a time...using flashers can give you an erroneous result. If your lights don't work, you probably need to clean off the pins to make better contact. Keep one of those rubbery nail file thingys that the gals use....they work great to clean off dirty pin contacts.

Personally, I didn't think there was much difference between driving singles and doubles except that you need to think ahead when you want to stop and find parking. Plan ahead where you're going to fuel and take breaks. Use google maps to spot good areas to drop trailers (if you need to drop one and go on). Always ask permission to drop a trailer on private property just to be polite. Finally, don't be intimidated by doubles....they are way less trouble than they are reputed to be.

Take care and good luck!

11. Crossroads

Crossroads Light Load Member

Feb 28, 2013
    Lumberton NC
    I used to run a B train but never pulled the wiggle wagons. In the snow more challenging. High winds more challenging. Remember when turning in a yard don't turn too tight. if you do your lead trailer can backtrack right into your kite and tear it up. I saw a guy do it once and it wasn't pretty.

Until you get used to them don't run @ full speed on highway. Save a few mph to straighten them out if a high gust of wind hits. Definitely increase your following difference and take your time. Be especially cautious when light or no load. Also be aware. many states will ban doubles on highways during severe snow.

I see your in CO so I know they used to use chains out there. But 1 year experience in the mountains with double pups in the snow is no cake walk. Just take your time, and you'll be fine.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.