Running Interstate out of California

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 1SG LEE TRANSPORTATION, Nov 27, 2020.

1. 1SG LEE TRANSPORTATION

1SG LEE TRANSPORTATION Bobtail Member

Nov 9, 2020
    Victorville, Ca
    Hopefully this is an easy answer. I just received my own authority and paid for all these different insurances. My question is to run power only hauling other companies trailers is there an additional type of insurance I need? Also I currently have a 34' liftgate dryvan i snatched up from Richie Bros. To run that trailer is it covered under my bobtail insurance policy or there a separate policy needed? My insurance broker is gone for the holidays and its kinda bothering me that I cant find a direct answer.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Spyro2112

Spyro2112 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Call jb hunt the contract P O they pay cargo u pay liability and physical their ins is probably cheaper but call them and ask

4. 1SG LEE TRANSPORTATION

Nov 9, 2020
    Victorville, Ca
    Is that to run exclusively under them or just to haul their loads?

5. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    get trailer exchange insurance. but most companies have that already. so say you lease on with jb hunt. jb hunt gets you to haul freight in a swift trailer

6. 1SG LEE TRANSPORTATION

Nov 9, 2020
    Victorville, Ca
    Thats my question right there. Without leasing on to another carrier since I have my own authority if I purchase my own trailer exchange policy would that enable me to knock out power only loads for other carriers?

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  7. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    i believe so

8. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    There's an insurance for "non-owned" trailers that you can get added to your policy. Companies that regularly move these loads will require this insurance on your certificate with them listed on as a holder or additional insured. Brokers who rarely move trailers may not require it, but it's better to have it just in case. The amount is going to vary based on what the companies require in their contract. If you know who you're going to be working with, read the contract or ask the brokerage how much coverage they require. The most I saw was $60,000 for a company that had newer reefer units.

I highly recommend getting your own trailer, as the insurance will be cheaper than a non-owned policy. Power only is a race to the bottom until you develop some relationships with good customers or brokers, or if you specialize in hauling what most other drivers can't do. Even then, it can be inconsistent.

1SG LEE TRANSPORTATION Thanks this.
  9. 1SG LEE TRANSPORTATION

Nov 9, 2020
    Victorville, Ca
    So is that "non-owned" in addition to the trailer exchange or separate? Like is it either or or both.

10. 1SG LEE TRANSPORTATION

Nov 9, 2020
    Victorville, Ca
    Want to have a general idea on what to ask for so I dont end up talking to my ins broker and buying something not needed.

11. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Bobtail insurance is “Bobtail” insurance ONLY. It does not cover any trailer you pull.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.