Running with JCT, Part Deux

Discussion in 'John Christner' started by drloveofdfw, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. crxdc

crxdc Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Las vegas NV
    See all those drivers saying its not possible its 20 years away etc

3. Kamkor

Kamkor Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Wellington, TX
    I love how they say they are making drivers lives better....by getting rid of us...

4. crxdc

crxdc Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Las vegas NV
    Yep. Its better to be unemployed and broke. Rich need more money while we suffer.

5. Kamkor

Kamkor Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Wellington, TX
    It's going to be kind of hard to have a consumer-based economy when there aren't any more consumers...

crxdc Thanks this.
  6. Treputt

Treputt Medium Load Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    They're not entirely getting rid of drivers..the autonomous trucks will still need a driver on board..to handle construction zones, deliveries, etc. So as long as they don't reduce drivers pay, then sign me up. I'll take a nap as my truck drives itself across the wonderfully scenic state of Arizona.

7. Treputt

Mar 15, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    I compare it to airline travel. In today's modern aircraft, a plane can literally take off, traverse it's flight path, and land without any human interaction. Pilots are there primarily to step in when human decisions need to be made. Like taxiing around an airport, ensuring the plane is operating smoothly, announcing that peanuts will be served shortly...you know important things. The way I see it, no matter how self driving a truck gets, there is still going to be a need for a human to operate it at some point.

8. Kamkor

Kamkor Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Wellington, TX
    And the way the story reads there's no one in the truck between the border and the transfer station where another driver picks up the load.

They like to say in the future drivers won't even have to drive they just go to a building and drive remotely and then they drive multiple trucks which really screws us rural drivers doesn't it.

9. Kamkor

Kamkor Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Wellington, TX

See and I wouldn't mind that. I would love for a truck to have autopilot on those long stretches of Nebraska or long stretches through California. Especially if it came with an hours of service bonus like every hour you use autopilot only counts is 30 minutes of regular drive time or something since you would still need to be at the wheel.

But they all want to just jump pass that and go straight to level 5 autonomy. Which I think is a mistake cuz there's been plenty of times where I've just taking a break and then a walk around and found something that could have been catastrophic later like a blistered Tire in between the duels. You can't have sensors on everything...

10. Treputt

Mar 15, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    Actually further down in that article it states this - “Uber always has a safety operator who's a licensed truck driver at the wheel of the self-driving trucks,”

So the way I understand what is proposed with autonomous trucks and what Uber is doing is have someone able to drive the truck on board, just not actually driving the truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.