RV Haulers!!!

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Mr.Peterbuilt777, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Mr.Peterbuilt777

Mr.Peterbuilt777 Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2019
    With rv sales being down 20%. How much has shipping dropped? If any? And does hauling rv's to dealers look to take a plunge in the near future? Just curious...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Probably will be a major downturn in RVs soon, but it also depends who you work for I think. The one I am at still seems steady enough for me at the single pull level, but buying a trailer I can't say I could justify right now based on how much work it would get. Other outfits might have a larger demand for trailer loads.

4. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    That has to be one of the worst things you can get into. Not even looking at the economy..

5. jeffman164

jeffman164 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Depends on what segment.

6. rowekmr

rowekmr Light Load Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I did it briefly with a leased (monthly) pick up and enjoyed it for a side gig on my off days. I’m a RV’er and enjoy driving diesel trucks so the short radius trips I took allowed me to unwind. I would even do some runs before work (worked midnight).
    One day there were no loads. That one day turned into months so turned the truck in after while. So I can attest to industry downturns.

7. Brandonpdx

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Again it depends who you work for. Some of the larger outfits like Horizon or Indiana Transport probably over-hire drivers and don't care if there is enough work to keep everybody happy. RV's are seasonal like a lot of things but they build and ship year round and send them somewhere.

8. Brandonpdx

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    I would give that award to Drive-away. Not sure how those guys make any money with the rates they get having to put fuel in the vehicles, buy hotels every night and then find their way back home with no wheels of their own. Maybe if your wife worked for the airlines and you could fly for free it would work okay...

Tow-away you at least can sleep in your truck and know how you are getting back (or out there in my case). If you have a paid off truck that is reliable and you do most of your own wrench turning you can make some money. I've talked to guys that have been doing it for a decade or longer.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    Western flyer Thanks this.
  9. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    The problem is Horizon as example wont even lease you on unless your truck is 3 years old or newer. Meaning on top of not paying well, they require a new truck. Now the CDL guys who are hauling with trailers can have older but they have better options elsewhere anyway.

10. Brandonpdx

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    That's probably their polite way of saying they don't need that many new trucks right now if they are being that picky. They all have slightly different demands for single pullers as well as trailer and haul/tows. Some of them will take any truck 2000 and newer and can make exceptions for slightly older ones if they are nice. I don't think I would want to do this with a truck payment over my head but I see a lot of guys that do. On the other hand my truck is old and is a constant work in progress to keep up to par and off the side of the road so its pick your poison.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.