Saddle boxes

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by skallagrime, Jun 10, 2018.

1. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    So, saddle boxes all seem to be in the 350-550$ range for aluminum (with step)
    They all say theyre made of .125" "heavy duty welded aluminum" but wtf is their carrying capacity? (Looking for an 18" wide ATM, probably through bolting to frame with 4x 1/2 to 5/8 bolts, not a hangar style bracket attachment

Any thoughts? I'm basically looking to get as many chains in there as possible (I carry 12)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Rad! Your mounting a ATM. Great idea. That way truckers can pay you a fee to get cash for lot lizards.

Innovative business man. Good on ya. :D

4. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Your going to want the hanger brackets. The bolts with washers will rip right through the aluminum box with it full of chains. Heck I see headache racks with the chain holders ripped off from just a couple of foot of 12x chains hanging from them. With the L brackets made from angle iron with braces at a 45 deg the weight will be holding from the bottom of the box.

Lepton1 and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    What he said.

I’ve got Merrit step boxes holding a bunch of 3/8 chain - with reinforced brackets and mounts.

Don’t chance any box without good mounting.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. skallagrime

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    No one's stolen anything from my truck step boxes for the past 6 years, not sure why I should think that will be changing now?

7. skallagrime

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Would you be willing to share any actual information on your boxes/weight held etc? (# and length of your chains would give me a good start)

I had a 30" Merritt for 3 years on hangar brackets that held up to about 3-400 lbs of assorted tools/gear

The 18" step I had mounted on the other side straight to the frame (well, some long spacers from top ofoframe to just beneath the bottom of the frame) i had 2 sets of tire chains + assorted metal edge protectors in it for about half a year with no Ill effects, but it looked thicker than .125" and also had a large peice of angle welded into the corners that was at least 3/16

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.