Safety technology poll

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Midnightrider909, Dec 12, 2018.

Do you think safety technology makes you safer?

1. No. Get this stuff off my truck.

43 vote(s)
    91.5%
  2. Yes. Technology helps me be a safer driver.

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    A GOOD forward collision avoidance system tied to cruise system should be standard equipment. Nothing wrong with having an extra set of eyes. And don’t give me the argument “oh but then we’ll become dependent on them and/or sometimes they won’t work to 100% effectiveness”. That’s just a lame argument.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    I agree. Some is very nice to have.

My collision avoidance system displays the speed of the vehicle I’m overtaking when I’m on cruise. I really like that feature. I don’t get trapped near as often now. And if I do, the system brings me down to a safe following distance and speed until I can pass.

Lane drift, what a pain in the ###!

4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    But I would never drive a truck with lane departure warning. Too many roads have so many major potholes to avoid and sometimes you have to ride a fog line for extended periods for other reasons.

Freightliner’s new proprietary forwarder collision avoidance system just works and does not act up and get heavily involved without good reason

SteerTire and Socal Xpress Thank this.
  5. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    If a truck isn’t beeping all kinds of warnings from the second I take off, I’m setting my alarm clock to go off continuously instead. Helps me relax. Collision avoidance system? Who needs eyes anymore, donate them to a needy person.

@snowman_w900, if you get a Lazy ### 9000 avoidance system for Christmas, I will help you install it.

6. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Here in the west before Interstate was bought out by Heartland, they ran the dark green trucks with accident avoidance systems. Whenever one of them did something stupid, it was just a matter of getting in front of them and slowing down, and their brakes would kick in.

7. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Your Like me.........I don't have ABS any longer- I Prefer adjusting my brakes like the days we had Manual Slacks- I Like a Good "Meaty" Feel when I apply the brakes'Touchy'- Which you don't get with ABS system

8. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    That's what diving is supposed to be, paying attention and not getting yourself "trapped" in traffic.

stayinback and shogun Thank this.
  9. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    But you’ve got to experience the super awesome tech to realize it. Car ahead is traveling 62 mph. Bust out the calculator, time for some math. If I am going 65 mph, and car A is traveling 62 mph, will my truck slam on the brakes at the overpass and will my lane departure warning beep when I am parked?

Midnightrider909 Thanks this.
  10. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    I can see I’m coming up on the traffic. That readout lets me know whether I need to come out now ( I’m looking in the mirrors) or just go ahead and cut you off if you haven’t overtaken me before I get to close to the car in front.

You saw I was coming up on the car. You could have slowed, or gunned it. Now I’m in the drivers seat...driving in front of you. Because you’re not paying attention, or your just being an ###

11. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Well number one I'm always an ###, ask anybody who knows me. You'll just cut somebody behind you off because you waited too long to #### or get off the pot, that is stupid and asking to get hit by somebody.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.