Safety technology poll

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Midnightrider909, Dec 12, 2018.

Do you think safety technology makes you safer?

1. No. Get this stuff off my truck.

43 vote(s)
    91.5%
  2. Yes. Technology helps me be a safer driver.

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

System Engineers will tell you that any system that is giving 95% false alarms is not helping. It's training the operator (driver) to ignore it. My automatic braking activates in error at least once a month unexpectedly. So far it's not attempted a panic stop while the roads are both wet/slippery and my truck is loaded and/or in a curve. But it's only a matter of time. My company has their own 911 system. I've started calling in each event saying "my truck just tried to kill me." I know it won't do any good, but I'm hoping to generate a record so it can be resolved one day, or my relatives get rich. Just driving under an overpass or highway sign or beside a guardrail should not cause a fatal truck crash.

Midnightrider909 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

That system on my truck forces me to attempt a pass at least 500 feet before reaching a slightly slower vehicle in my lane, unless I override it. If I have to override it for a safer pass, it's not doing it's job. That's me jumping out into the passing lane almost 1/8 of a mile before the vehicle I'm passing. That guarantees and teaches 4-wheelers to "shoot the gap" and pass me on the right lane at a high rate of speed approaching a slower vehicle.

Midnightrider909 Thanks this.
  4. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Our safety department let the cat out of the bag at our last safety meeting a while back when he sad that the reason all of our new Volvo’s have all of the newest sensors, is to help Volvo with their driverless truck studies and development.
    So were helping to put ourselves out of work.

tscottme and Midnightrider909 Thank this.
  5. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    It'd be pretty cool if all of yall quit. Even better if those Volvos put him out of business.

6. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Do you have something against truck drivers? That was a pretty awful thing to say. There is a good reason we hate all these “safety” technologies. It might make a truck driven by a trainee at Swift safer but experienced drivers are hampered by a truck that wants to drive itself.

7. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Yeah, you kinda swung and missed there. I'd like for him to quit so he would screw his company over, I'd like for volvo to put the owner out of business with faulty equipment since Volvo's intention is to put drivers out of jobs and the owner is complicit with the testing.

I don't have anything against truck drivers, seeing as I did a 600 mile drop and hook today.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  8. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Sorry. Misunderstood. It would be great if we could all take a stand on anything. I have heard it you cannot even buy a new Volvo without all of these useless technologies. I plan to hold onto my 2018 for as long as I can.

shogun Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.