Saia linehaul? Anyone have any information about them?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by asphaltcowboy4x4, Feb 11, 2019.

1. asphaltcowboy4x4

asphaltcowboy4x4 Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2018
    lolol I always say that on the cb!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. USMC 3531

USMC 3531 Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    It may be a good time to get in also, in light of what's happening at NEMF, I imagine Saia may pick up some of that freight maybe, but Saia may also be in the market for some of NEMFs former drivers experienced ltl guys, if you haven't already, you may want to apply asap! I believe NEMF did service PA if I am not mistaken.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  4. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    I am sure they will, as you know they are in the middle of a northeast expansion so I think they will try to grab as much of NEMF old freight as they can to support that growth. Plus they will have more of their own to cover, NEMF was an interline partner with Saia, so they will have to do all that in-house now.

USMC 3531 Thanks this.
  5. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Saia will be very selective of NEMF drivers I think. Saia wants nothing to do with a swath of union drivers.

Northeasterner and brian991219 Thank this.
  6. USMC 3531

Dec 11, 2016
    Exactly, I just wonder if this was what Saia was waiting for, and if they were expecting it.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  7. USMC 3531

Dec 11, 2016
    Yeah there is that, I don't know man, personally I don't begrudge union drivers, and I think it would be unfortunate to pass up on that experience because of former union membership but that's my opinion, I mean after all their are both good and bad drivers in both union and non union shops.

8. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Not all companies are narrow minded. Even as anti union as Walmart is they still hire hundreds of former union drivers because they realize most of them have decades of safe driving and that is what good transportation companies are concerned with first.

9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, a former union driver may not be very likely to accept Saia’s level of micromanagement.

10. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    That’s a whole different issue.
    This former Teamster will never drive someone else’s truck the rest of my driving days. The guy in my mirror may be the biggest jerk that I have ever driven for, but I pay myself well and I let myself off any time I want. Lol

11. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    It isn't any worse that all the work rules of a union shop, just different. Would I like to work under either situation, no, that is why I was an independent for most of my career. My brother seems to like it, even excels at Saia.

As for micromanagement, not sure if each barn is different. He pretty much comes and goes as he pleases as long as he gets his freight to the destination on time. Last night he gated out at 8 pm rather than his scheduled 2 am so he could beat the PA truck ban and be in Ohio early. Didn't have to ask, wasn't asked to either, he just did it. Could have had the turn off but chose to run on his own, at a time that let him avoid most of the weather.

He rarely speaks to anyone other than the dock manager, had a few issues with safety his first month but got them all squared away. Just earned his 1 year accident free award this month.

Speed_Drums, Banker and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.