Sales Tax on Used Truck Lease Buyout in Texas

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Porkchop_McGee, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Porkchop_McGee

Porkchop_McGee Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2021
    I'm getting ready to buy my tractor that I've been leasing and I was wondering if there is any sales tax I have to pay? (Texas)

It's been difficult getting anybody on the phone to talk about this. According to my local Texas Tax Assessor, there is only a $33 fee associated with transferring the title from the carrier to myself. But she said I would have to get Texas apportioned plates. Currently, the truck is licensed outside of Texas with the carrier I am leased on to. Is it possible to just transfer the title and keep the licensing the way it is?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    Short answer is yes, as long as you have a lease you should be tax exempt.

4. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    CK to be sure your co. that you have your irp. tag with now will need the title in the state that the tag is thru. If you are staying with that co. it may save you tax every year?

5. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I bought a truck once through a company in Indiana. When I get the title, I went into the county office where you did my car registration. This was in Weatherford, Tx. They put the title in my name and I got a Texas title. My plates stayed with the company I was leased to in Indiana shown on the registration. I showed a copy of my lease agreement and there was no sales tax. So they are giving you a line of crap.

p608 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted