Salute To You OTR Drivers

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Velli, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Velli

Velli Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2015
    I wanted to make a thread telling you guys how appreciative I am of you guys. You guys(and gals) truly are warriors. I'm a few months into otr and I just don't know if it's for me. Being away from family, especially kids is taking its toll and I'm already feeling that driver burnout you guys always mention on here. Some days I feel like a super trucker then other days I question why I even decided to ever get in a truck. Just being in this profession for the short time I've been driving, I have really came to respect you all who have been doing this for many years. It's not all bad but it does take its toll on you. Also with that being said are you guys aware of any driving jobs where I could be home every night or every weekend in the Jackson, Ms area or Dallas, Tx areas

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    @Chinatown ??

ps: Thanks, Velli. I did about 5 years OTR before I found a really good intrastate / local gig. Sometimes we have to pay those dues, but not always.

Any LTL jobs near you?

Bob Dobalina and Velli Thank this.
  4. Old_n_gray

Old_n_gray Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2016
    western pa
    Look into Old Dominion, Saia, Fed ex....all the ltl companies.

Velli Thanks this.
  5. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    I second those accolades in spades!

Velli Thanks this.
  6. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    Mcklane , sysco, beverage. Look at who delivers to your grocery stores

Velli Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You need to pace yourself.

As hard as you drive, you also need to use time off harder. It might not be home time with the kids but taking three days off now and then wherever you might be with a chance to take in a downtown ball game for example and decompress away from that truck at least for a day at a time and sleep at night in a nicer hotel rather than the sleeper helps minimize the so called burnout.

You can literally ruin yourself running too hard long enough. Completely and totally burn yourself out that the simple concept of getting into your tractor trailer again is a source of physical pain and a mental refusal to go to work again with that truck.

With regular times to decompress, at home or even away around the USA you can run years in that truck and not burn out. I actually burn out quicker in local work when it's a constant problem to get home at 6PM to get up at midnight and 1 am to fix food and make ready again to go out until 6 PM again every day 5 days a week. Ive done it. But it's not for me. One company transferred me to a sleeper truck division and sent me regional which pretty much eliminated the need to get up like that every day all week. I would return home each weekend until monday or sunday night and made the same money. But increased in retail expenses as far as truckstop food etc. I did have a apartment to pay for that year with a roommate who thought that all the housework fell on him. I told him not to worry about it i'll get it when I got home. It's fortunate that he went back to school and I moved on else where, it improved both of our lives. quite a bit.

G13Tomcat and Velli Thank this.
  8. Velli

Velli Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2015
    How long have you been otr?

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I got about 30 plus years more or less. Medical stuff took care of that future possibility to make it 40 or 50 years even. I have about 5 more as a Temp CDL Supervisor part time when it was time to sell trucks at the auction house. Teach those automatics and manuals and impart some how to run older trucks like with air start systems etc.

I can try to use some of that time to teach people here what I can, but many of the things I consider are already not acceptable in our PC (Politically Correct) industry or perhaps deemed too inciting of trouble in companies determined not to have a driver work force that gets uppity now and then. If I was to run again (Not happening...) it will have to be with a rough outfit that don't mind a few knots from a tire thumper now and then to keep everyone (Including me) in line. Last I checked that sort of behavior is not lawful.

Trucking has also changed. The amount of plush and luxury is unbelievable now and the wussiness and lack of self initiative among our younger ones is not acceptable. So I consider myself a casualty, literally a dinosaur best kept in the institution so I don't ruin our most recent crop of driving school graduates. he he...

Velli and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  10. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    If I were forced to run "other than" the old school way, with all these nowadays impunites, I'd be retiring, too. I was lucky to land this outfit that still believes we "mature" guys do it better, LoL. If I ever were to train (ha!) I'd be out of a job, for sure.

Hats off to you, bro. I always enjoy your writings and wisdom!!!
    Tom

Velli Thanks this.
  11. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.