Sammons Trucking Lease purchase????

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by michaelbunt, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Wildcat74

Wildcat74 Medium Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    I wanted to post some things up about my recent application with Sammons and how that went. I WILL say that over the phone the recruiter I spoke with was absolutely awesome, she clearly enjoys her job and it shows, great person to deal with. That being said, I was under the impression that with claims of trucks averaging $16,000/month that would mean $4k would go to the driver. I've been driving a while and know that that is not excellent money but it is something that I could be comfortable on and the freedoms allowed by the Sammons load board and whatnot make that more than worth it. The recruiter was very up front with me that most L/O's are out 4-6wks at a time and average $2100-2400 per month... Not sure how this math works out but that is NOT good money for the commitment, to be honest I made more money and was home much more often in a Swift L/O truck. I want to reiterate that everyone I dealt with was very forthcoming with information and extremely friendly when I dealt with them, I just think the sales pitch is a bit misleading via Internet is all. Just wanted to inform some others so they can weigh their decision more fully.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RonPaul2012

RonPaul2012 Medium Load Member

Jul 21, 2011
    California
    Been all over their website, but no mention about what make, model or year range of trucks that are offered, any help recruiter?:biggrin_2556:

4. viperexpress996

viperexpress996 Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Dalton, GA
    They told me 2006 to new Volvo, International, Freightliner or KW

RonPaul2012 Thanks this.
  5. losttrucker

losttrucker Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2008
    greenville,nc
    The old saying of "How bad do you want it" comes to mind??

Are you willing to work like a mad man and live off low money to achieve truck ownership??

blade Thanks this.
  6. DrFlush

DrFlush Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Looks to me like $16000 gross, x .75 = 12000 to the truck, x .26 = 3120 - 240 to escrow = 2880 to driver. Remainder of the 12k pays fuel, ins., 2290 and all expenses, balance to make truck payment.

7. viperexpress996

viperexpress996 Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Dalton, GA
    NOT a good deal. They told me average pay is $2600 per month. Divide by 4.3 weeks per month means gross pay of $604.65 per week. Put aside 25% of this for the taxes you WILL owe the IRS and you have a net weekly pay of $453.48. If you spend $100. per week on eats, laundry etc. you now have a net paycheck of $353.48. Now let's say you work 55 hours "on the books", we all know that that is more like 80 hours per week actually. Your hourly wage will be approximately $3.35 per hour. Exactly what I made working at McDonalds back in 1986. Oh, forgot the truck. By the time it is paid for in two years, it may be worth $15,000. So, your residual value figured in will add $144.23 per week to this. Minus 25 % for taxes to the IRS leaves $108.17 per week. This adds an hourly value of $.65 per hour. Congratulations! You have sweated, froze, gotten sore, been aggravated to the point of breaking, lost your house, car, wife and now have child support to pay. You came out of this with $4.00 hr clear!! And you had the priveledge of clearing the company an average of $90,000 during this same period. Sounds like a real deal! Where do I sign up?

bamanation Thanks this.
  8. MOGLAR

MOGLAR Heavy Load Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Kansas City , MO
    I want to pretend I own a truck toooo!!:biggrin_25523::biggrin_2551::biggrin_25523::biggrin_2551:

9. Ubu

Ubu Road Train Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Rumored to be somewhere
    I asked for clarification on the 16,000 and Sammonsrecruiter said it was after they had their 25% share.

I think what people are missing is that the deal is 74% of the load + 100% of the FSC goes to the truck and the 16,000 estimate is including FSC.

You just get 26% of the load, not the FSC paid to you.

I think Sammon's is being very up front with people. The deal is to get the truck payed off as quickly as possible while still making sure you take home something.

10. SheepDog

SheepDog Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    I still read L/P threads now and than to keep me grounded... For ME, the best way I can get what "I" want, (freedom), is to just save up the bennies to purchase my own truck out-right, trailer and all that comes with it. Than lease or get my own authority. I just don't see any other way to do it, in order to get the truck "I" want, run like "I" want, run when "I" want and where "I" want,,,oh, and how "I" want. Sometimes I get impatient and sometimes I get very impatient but, no matter what I do or how I work the numbers I just can not lease and get what "I" want. My hats off to those that do and my prayers go out to those that don't do their due-diligence before they sign that contract.

11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    fsc is 100 percent to truck. along with tarp and whatever else.

sammons takes 25 percent of the linehaul ONLY. landstar takes 35 percent.

your take home pay is what you make of it. haul cheap loads you make cheap money. haul good paying loads and you make more then what sammons quotes.

so far i've made what sammons quotes. and that's 3 weeks at a time. home for a week. some times home is short. and ohters it's longer. depending on repairs or not. while the truck has been good so far. the trailer has been playing catch up maint. from the last driver not fixing what needs to be fixed. and now it's basically done.

the bottom line is the program is what you make of it. you can easily make more then 16G a month. it's all up to you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.