Sand Hauler/Oilfield

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Jwill0105, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Jwill0105

Jwill0105 Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2018
    I am very new to this but looking to get into the industry. I can get a truck and trailer and was thinking of hiring a driver to haul for me. Thinking in the TX area. I want to hire a driver while I stay at my "inhouse" job. What type of truck would I need to pull a sand hauler and what is recommended?
    Also if I buy used what brands should I look at and whats a good mileage for any sleeper truck 2010 - 2018)
    As far as how much I can make(approximately) per truck and on average how much am I paying a driver per week?

Thanks in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SavageMuffin

SavageMuffin Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2018
    MS
    Hauling sand in Sand Boxes or pneumatics?

Ever drove in the oilfield?

Have you spoke to anyone about leasing a truck on anywhere and what it would require?

I know it’s in Texas, but in ND some of those places wanted you to have your own authority etc before they would let you haul. Some don’t.

If just hauling Sand Boxes I think any truck would work, seen all kinds out there.. Volvo’s to Cabovers.. . but we used Pete’s and KWs, 13 and 18 speed. Some also had wet kits for hauling water when it was slow.

We got paid per load...

Maybe someone with more experience will chime in.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  4. Jwill0105

Jwill0105 Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2018
    The truck would just haul sand from one site to another. When you say "own authority", what does that mean exactly? Sand boxes and pneumatics are different? When I search for a trailer and put sand hauler or sand box….pneumatic trailers come up. Am I searching wrong.
    And any sleeper cab would do pulling the sand hauler?

5. Jwill0105

Jwill0105 Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2018
    for a 2012 - 2018 what is considered good mileage?

6. SavageMuffin

Jan 11, 2018
    MS
    I would think less about mileage, more about how it was cared for and maintained.

If I was buying a truck for the oilfield, I would be in the late 90’s early 2000’s Range. Why? Cause lease roads will beat a truck to death.

Western Star, Peterbilt, Kenworth. Saw a ton of those, rarely did they break down and they took whatever got thrown at them. Manual trucks are all we used in the Bakken.

Yes, there’s a difference. Sand Boxes go on their chassis, lock down, fill, take to site, get empty can, repeat.

Pneumatic, I think those require a blower and I’ve never used one.

I’m going to be honest. Not rude, just some humble advice.

If you don’t know what own authority or lease on to means I would wait or stay away from the venture.

Some places want you to have your own MC numbers, insurance, etc.

Some will let you run under their numbers etc and you get paid a Leser %.

I’m not an oilfield guru like some of the guys/gals here, I just drove there for a while and can speak to my experience. In my experience, Sand can bring in some serious cash when it’s popping, but if they don’t need it, you’re sitting. Which Is why we had wet kits, for the in between.

Crude Truckin' Thanks this.
  7. Jwill0105

Jwill0105 Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Savage not rude at all I appreciate your input. I have a friend in the industry and he will be schooling me on terms etc. He said of I had the $$$ and could find a driver he could get me in so I figured why not……
    But I will have to find out if I will need a sand box or. pneumatic with a blower.

Thanks again

8. SavageMuffin

Jan 11, 2018
    MS
    I just thought about this as well, oilfield specific things aside it’s like any other business.

You got the capital to cover a major repair and tow bill? Cover payroll if you’re on net 15/30 etc terms if not being paid weekly? Insurance payments etc. you gonna pay 1099 or W2? Use a payroll service like ADP? Cover fuel and other expenses like oil, coolant etc? LLC/S-Corp/C-Corp?

It’s a lot to chew. Again, not trying to be rude in any way, just bringing up things that may not have been thought of.

I don’t think Sand required them, but I know on the water side( oil too I believe) you gotta have a bunch of safety classes to get on site. Hess, stat oil, H2S, OSHA, on and on and on.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  9. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Sandboxes are like intramodal containers but for the oilfield. You haul it to the location while it's full of sand, they lift it off your trailer, put an empty one on your trailer, then you leave.

Pneumatics are tankers, you have to wait on location until they're ready, then you hook up hoses and use a PTO-driven blower to unload.

In addition to the trucks @SavageMuffin mentioned, also consider Mack. The oilfield is hard on equipment so you'll need something that can take a beating.

10. Jwill0105

Jwill0105 Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Are Freightliner trucks any good, can they withstand the beatens just like peterbuilt, etc?
    The blowerkit is installed to the trailer or the sleeper cab?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.