SB101 Btwn Conejo Scales\Wendy Dr Truck on Shoulder Rearended

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by UsualSuspect, Mar 24, 2017.

1. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    I just don't understand why these nimrods feel the need to park on the side of the freeway! Pull off at an exit ramp so that you have a running start to merge back in.

I see this on the 10 every week. someone pulls off to the side, then turns left to get back on from a standing stop. It just baffles me.

Lepton1, AtticusRoad and tinytim Thank this.
  4. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    The CHP Moorpark division posted there was a child in the vehicle. Parent could have been distracted and tried to keep on driving with the distraction. Childs age was 3

5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    There are distracted drivers everywhere. This is why you don't park on a shoulder unless there is a mechanical failure. Don't make yourself a stationary object [to get hit] where stationary objects generally don't exist.

6. UsualSuspect

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    Different crash. Press release attached.

According to the press release the truck had mechanical issues.

Attached Files:

Lepton1, AtticusRoad and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I personally think flares are the only thing that will get the required attention of approaching motorists but triangles are better than nothing. They may have been deployed or they may not have been or maybe the driver was in the process of deploying them

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. Getsinyourblood

Getsinyourblood Road Train Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Retired. North Texas
    @UsualSuspect I am surprised you could post a copy of the crash report. To the right of the truck drivers name, safety equipment used, the box is checked No. What does that mean? Triangles? If so, I hope not, but the driver may have some legal issues. Counting the Gainesville Tx crash, that is 6 fatalities of people crashing into trucks parked on the shoulder in a couple of days. Needless to say, parking on the shoulder is a hazardous move.

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Maybe a hazmat trailer?

Where in the world is the driver of that tractor trailer? Back at the scale house to make a phone call?

As far as the fatal, I bet that decap bar got her. slice.

People when driving cars are so drawn to the back of the trailer and I must question the fatal as to maybe distraction to the extreme to cross over that far and hit that particular trailer. We might never know.

I don't expect a passenger of a semi to be aware of the little things pertaining to breakdown protection with traingles and flares etc.

I was once making a blind side backing at a place I call Delray NJ (OR Delran, Not certain anymore on location... I should know) with a flat bed load. I had used 4 triangles to block off the right and center lanes leaving the left lane to do the backing of trailer in to the customer's lumber store. Anyway, there was a lady who totally ignored the 4 triangles in her face after sitting at a traffic light watching me do the backing attempt. She broke through the triangles forcing me to stop quick causing the trailer to flip over above her hood.

My tractor was pulled up against it's bogie drive axle and hung there as the whole thing decided what to do with that woman's life. (And mine... 15 feet up in the air...) it came back down thankfully. I bawled out the lady and told her she should have gone left like everyone else. And how am I going to be paid for the nice triangles and stuff she ruined? bawl bawl bawl. I actually took a joy in chewing her out. She was like 80.

I feel badly now. But back then? It's fair game for being so stupid in a car. Sheesh. She does not know how much I appreciated that mack for coming back down. It would have killed her and caused me to be a resident of Jersey's less than welcoming jails for many years.

10. UsualSuspect

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    My understanding was the driver pulled off onto the shoulder as the truck was inoperative and would not make it off the freeway. The truck driver decided to exit the passenger side of the truck away from traffic, and she was going to put out her triangles, unfortunately as she was exiting the truck the car ran into the rear of it. I am not sure the truck driver could have done anything else.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.