Scariest Moment

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by ISLAND WARRIOR, Apr 16, 2009.

1. ISLAND WARRIOR

ISLAND WARRIOR Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2009
    MAMI FLORIDA
    Good day Truckers,
    being that you all spend almost all of your time driving and controling 80 tons of steel, I would like to ask, What was your most scariest moment behind the wheel douring your time on the road?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Freezing fog.

In the Dakotas, you can drive on a sunny cold day, and suddenly without warning, have everything go to hell instantly when you hit the fog. Windshield freezes over instantly. Hit the wipers and the wipers go over the thin sheet of ice that formed suddenly over the windshield. You were running 65 and all the cars in front of you slowly turn sideways at 70 mph and fly clean off the road.

You cant see clearly, black ice abounds, cars look like they are figure skating, and youre going 65 mph and your trailer is coming out to one side.

Sickest feeling: Coming up to the Holland Tunnel with a 13'6 load at 6:30 am.

4. Scuby

Scuby Heavy Load Member

Mar 10, 2007
    On I-40. Stupidity almost got the best of me. I got to thinking there were no real Mtn grades on the East Coast early in my driving career. Black Mtn cured me of that real quick. I won't go into details, but needless to say my brakes were a little on the warm side. That taught me two things. The first is overconifidence is dangerous, if not deadly. Second don't take Mtn grades near the end of one's driving shift.

kerosene jockey Thanks this.
  5. doubledragon5

doubledragon5 Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Lewisville TX
    Driving though the Sierra Nevada mountains, on I believe US 15 it was windy and I was blown across to the other side of the road...

6. sweezly1

sweezly1 Medium Load Member

Mar 24, 2008
    ohio
    white out in wyoming

7. Crotts Trucking

Crotts Trucking Medium Load Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Duncan, AZ
    My first week with my permit, going up I-17 empty(Not Scary) Coming Down I-17 a few hours later grossing 80-85K pulling an end dump. (SCARY!!) LOL

8. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Back when I was a new driver. HEAVY fog in the San Joaquin. Had to leave 99 and cross a railroad track right after making the turn off 99. Night time.

Did I mention HEAVY fog? I had just, I mean JUST, cleared the tracks when the lights came on and the crossing arms came down. Of course the train was a little way off, but for some reason, it scared the crap out of me. (Well, not literally...):biggrin_25512:

9. sxty9GTO

sxty9GTO Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Corning, NY
    The moment I realized I signed a 3 yr lease with CR England. Behind the wheel? Freezing rain on the downhill side of a mountain.

10. YukonTrucker

YukonTrucker Light Load Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Whitehorse Yukon
    80 mph wind in a mountain pass. Snowing and lots of blowing snow, couldn't see a snow pole in front of me. Took my time and got through it fine.

11. CURTWAYNE

CURTWAYNE Medium Load Member

Jun 4, 2008
    LITTLE ROCK, AR
    Seeing a northbound vehicle coming straight at me, when I was southbound on I-55.
    Luckily, I was able to take the shoulder in time. Never heard if anything ever happened because of this guy on the wrong side of the interstate.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.