Scheduled for Swift/Lewiston on April 9

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Western Sky, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Western Sky

Western Sky Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Oregon
    Well, I've decided to start my trucking career with Swift. Some of the reasons I have decided to go with them are, of the company sponsored schools, I can drive to their school. It's only about 6 hours away. My communications with my recruiter have been smooth and professional. Their program is PTDI certified, and, from what I've heard, the training at Lewiston seems to be good. Hopefully get some mountain driving during school also.

I have gone back and forth trying to decide between a private school vs a company sponsored program. The benefit of C/S program is, no money upfront with a no interest loan and, I don't have to look for a job after graduation.

My goal at this time is to get my CDL license, some experience on the road, and then be a little pickier about who I drive for. Swift is a large company and I've heard good things and bad things about them. I'll approach them with a positive attitude and strong work ethic, and if I'm treated with honesty and respect we'll have a good relationship, if not, I'll put in my time and move on.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jynxx

Jynxx Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    You are going into this with a good attitude and approach. I've also heard many good and bad things about Swift as well as attending a company sponsored CDL program. What works for some doesn't work for others. It sounds like you have done your homework and I have no doubt that this will be a great experience for you. Remember to roll with the punches and maintain a positive attitude. It truly doesn't matter what company you work for they will all have their good and bad points. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

4. OldNomad

OldNomad Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Tallahassie, Florida
    The bad thing about Swift is the 50% drop out rate. As long as you are not part of that half that drops out things should be fine. Otherwise it's horrible.

Those first two weeks are reportedly more like Army boot camp than summer camp, so plan on busting a gut.

5. Western Sky

Feb 2, 2012
    Oregon
    Well, last weekend at home for a while. Might see if i can get some fishing in. Anyone else on the board headed to Lewiston next week?

6. NoBluffBuff

NoBluffBuff Light Load Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Northern Idaho
    I'm scheduled to arrive on the 30th. Hope I bump into some of y'all down at the Lewiston academy!!

7. bre1979

bre1979 Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2008
    pasco wa
    Headed to lewiston sometime in may, just need to call bill 1 week ahead of my start date. I have my cdl already just need to get refreshed. How are things going for ya western.

8. Trstanich

Trstanich Light Load Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Stonyford California
    I was trained there good school getting your foot in the door is half the battle once you get your experience with a clean record and a year under your belt you will be good to go

9. Western Sky

Feb 2, 2012
    Oregon
    Well, back home after 3 weeks in Lewiston. Passed my State test and received my CDL, what a great feeling. Students from Oregon road trip down to Ontario, OR for the driving test. Dan, the Oregon State tester is a good guy, very laid back and wants you to succeed. Idaho students get to test right at the school, home-turf advantage.

I'm taking a week off before orientation, but definitely excited to hit the road.
    Praying for a good mentor. Overall the school is good, not perfect, but the progressive learning system works. You start with very simple tasks, and as your ability develops you move on. The range is set up well, and you get a good mix of city, open road and hill driving. The instructors are great people, always willing to give additional help if needed. The trucks are a mix of older FLD's and cascadia's.

During the 3 weeks, there are 3 separate groups of students, each at a different level. Each week a new group of students come in, while another class graduates. The class ahead of me had 4 students, mine was 4 also, the new group had 7. I had a great time with my class, and hope to stay in touch with these guys.

The Motel leaves a lot to be desired, the rooms inside have been remodeled somewhat recently, though. The motel staff are pleasant and friendly.
    I ended up with a great roommate. This can be hit and miss, and let's just say there are some guys I wouldn't want to room with for 3 wks. You do have the option of paying for your own single room.

10. Western Sky

Feb 2, 2012
    Oregon
    Survived orientation and was pretty pumped when I got my driver number and became officially hired. So far very happy with Swift. Hit the road tomorrow with my mentor. He looks to be about 55, and has been with Swift for 20 years.

11. NoBluffBuff

NoBluffBuff Light Load Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Northern Idaho
    Good to hear you got coded, Western Sky. I only have five more days left in Lewiston before graduating and starting orientation myself. You hit on all the marks I was going to mention about the school and staff. The last two weeks have gone by super fast! They may force me to head home after Friday, but I want to get through orientation and hit the road as soon as possible.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.