Schlumberger J Questions

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by SomeWeirdGuy, Nov 12, 2022.

1. SomeWeirdGuy

SomeWeirdGuy Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2022
    I have an interview with Schlumberger J tuesday morning. I got my CDL-A in September and have no driving experience, but they said that was ok. It's a temp to hire which seems standard looking at the forum. They asked if I wanted to do flatbed or cement. I said flatbed. They said flatbed was drop and hook. They said meeting is done at hotel and was something like an orientation then they pull you off to the side for a 1v1 interview. Listed below is the job description. I really wanted to know what kind of questions and things I should ask or be listening for and maybe provide some insight about the job from anyone here that works for them?

Job Description:

• Responsible for driving and operating heavy trucks and equipment.
    • Performs rig up & rig down duties for cementing service equipment; contributes to safe rigging operations.
    • Participates in and monitors the execution of job/service: control operation of equipment or systems by using control mechanisms or direct physical activity to operate equipment or processes.
    • With guidance from Field Leaders, adjusts increase/decrease fluid pressure and flow as required.
    • Assists in training and guides safe and effective operating procedures.
    • Troubleshoots any problems with equipment and ensures damaged or defective parts get repaired.
    • Completes required paperwork and submits it to the appropriate parties accurately and on time (i.e., Critical Well Checklist, fuel log report, timesheets, logbooks, maintenance reports, etc.).
    • Promotes Safety Standards always: shop, yard, location, and while traveling.
    • Review, understand and implement operational (OS), and technical standards including other company requirements.
    • MUST hold a Class A CDL License.

Pay:
    Cement Driver:
    • 100 Hours a week
    • 40 hours of regular pay, 60 hours of overtime pay
    • $18 - $19/hr($27.00 - $28.50/hr Overtime Pay)
    Flatbed Driver:
    • 70 hours a week
    • 40 hours of regular pay, 30 hours of overtime pay
    • $18 - $19/hr($27.00 - $28.50/hr Overtime Pay)
    Job Details:

• 15 days on, 6 days off
    • 14 - 16 hours working per day
    • 80-100 hours per week. (70 hrs for CDL Drivers)
    • Paid travel to and from job site (Mileage / Flights)
    • $35 a day per diem on top of base pay
    • Housing provided while on hitch

Said this was a picture of the ''Flatbed''
      flatbed.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    That does not seem like great pay for the oilfield if you are going to be limited to 70 hrs a week

snowman1980 and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  4. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    63055D13-BC4D-4592-B4AA-6CB6D57CB95F.jpeg
    ^^^ If you see something like that, quickly turn around. Newbs to the trucking industry can easily be taken advantage of. Just a warning. ;)

In all seriousness, that pay definitely looks below what I’ve heard to be typical. And, they’ll work the dog out of you, dude.

snowman1980 and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  5. mud23609

mud23609 Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2015
    That works out to 50k ish a year. Totally not worth it when you have do deal with all the stuff that comes from working in the patch. You can do better than that at most any ltl company while sleeping in your own bed at night.

If you just want to drive. The patch isn't the money maker it once was. The real money is found outside of the truck after working your way up the ranks. If that's what you want cement is probably the better starting point plus you'll start off making more to begin with.

Keep in mind too. The oilfield is boom and bust. The job might be here today and gone tomorrow. When they start stacking rigs plenty of them fancy lifted trucks end up with the repo man. If you go oilfield save your money and keep your debt low so that when it crashes (and it will) you'll be able to bounce instead of splat.

6. FLHT

FLHT Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2014
    You will get more miles running that pump than driving the truck that pulls it..

snowman1980 and RockinChair Thank this.
  7. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Seems like low pay for the bay you’re gonna get treated doing oilfield work and living in a man camp .

but I’m sure it would be good experience .

@Chinatown is the expert for suggesting a company to match what kind of driving you want to do

what general location do you live ?
    Have a wife kids dog etc ?
    How often do you want to be home ?
    What’s your driving history ?
    How many accidents and tickets?
    Criminal convictions ?
    Which endorsements do you have on your CDL ?

8. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    That's way low pay. Like poverty wages for the oil field.

In comparison, I was working at a smaller oilfield services company nearly a decade ago, 70-80 hours/week, 5/1 schedule (rotating day off), and made $5-6/hr more than this (adjusted for inflation, it would be $11-12 more per hour) plus company-paid BC/BS family coverage. All I was initially hired to do was haul water, but those with an X and showed the ability to actually think while on the job would be quickly promoted, so I went from production water to fresh water to invert to hydrovac to crude oil, all in the first 9 months out there.

snowman1980 Thanks this.
  9. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    A lot of the ‘big players’ in the oil patch, start you off with a low pay scale, supposedly the ‘benefits’ are top notch.
    Fully paid health insurance on day one, paid company housing w/meals, etc. Uniforms w/company paid laundry.

10. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    I can see they haven't raised their wages any from 5+ years ago. I worked alongside Schlumberger with a 3rd party company doing bulk cement and moving frac equipment around. When we were busy we made more than the Schlumberger guys did and worked half as hard as they did. Didn't have to rig up/down. Just drag a few hoses and blow off the cement

snowman1980 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.