Schneider abandons HAZMAT check call pay

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by AppalachianTrucker, Oct 16, 2017.

1. AppalachianTrucker

AppalachianTrucker Heavy Load Member

May 25, 2014
    Orion Arm
    Word from the Mid-Atlantic and up and down the fetid truckstops of I-81 is that SNI is stripping HAZMAT check call pay, $25 per call, from the settlements of Target Dedicated drivers in Virginia who have made the calls. Some drivers are being told only to make the check call if they have a placarded load of 1,001 lbs or more of HAZMATS. This action seems to have its origins in the high-powered minds of the Scrooges who inhabit the Carlisle Operating Center. Drivers are obviously not happy about this swerve away from safety and DOT compliance toward saving a few dollars at their expense.

New motto? Safety First and Always as Long as it's Cheaper Than 25 Bucks.

This is bad news since it appears SNI is eliminating the incentive for drivers to make the call and be HAZMAT compliant and safe. By not paying drivers to make the HAZMAT check call, the company is telling them to just run that load, never mind those pesky UN numbers on those bills.
    Sad, sad, sad, or pure genious?
    So much winning or kind of a bad idea?
    Only time will tell.
    Is this the face of the new public company that was once Schneider National Carrier?

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    my understanding was if it needed placards that call was to ensure everything was done by the book.

So I dont see why a load that didnt meet placard requirements made a call necessary.

the few I ran as system driver didnt pay for the call. but the assignment said to call in. As a dedicated driver, we never called on that particular account.

scythe08 Thanks this.
  4. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Only Table 1 Hazardous materials require placarding of any quanity. Table 2 hazarodous require placarding at 1,001 pounds or more. As long as paper work is correct (declaration and signature of load) not making a phone call would not put you in violation of any FMCSA Rule.

p608 Thanks this.
  5. TennMan

TennMan Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hazzard County Jail !!!!!
    They're referring to SNI policy, which they compensated for your time on the call.

Sounds like now they expect them to do more free work.

6. TennMan

Sep 21, 2011
    Just refuse to haul Hazmat.

Sni doesn't compensate for the extra work or risk so I would refuse to haul it.

7. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    i don't get paid extra to clarify and confirm required placarding on hazmat loads. what's next? extra pay to cover additional labor in placarding the trailers?

Blackshack46 Thanks this.
  8. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Today, if your not compensated to breathe the air that comes from the truck cabin filter.... you best bet drivers will be #####in bout it.

9. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    so when did this call for pay begin?

10. TennMan

Sep 21, 2011
    I'm not sure when, I haven't hauled Hazmat since 2004.

11. TurtlesLikeI

TurtlesLikeI Light Load Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Nevada
    schneider’s focus on driver safety is bs. they care about their equipment and customers, nothing else.

Evie3 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.