Schneider and Walmart - Partners in crime

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by geargrinder, Sep 1, 2014.

1. geargrinder

geargrinder Medium Load Member

Nov 23, 2006
    More than likely waiting.
    $21-million dollar "wage theft" settlement against Schneider for a Mira Loma, CA terminal that they operate for receiving and shipping Walmart goods from overseas (China). Walmart throws up its hands and says hey its the subcontractors (Schneider) doings. One thing Wally and Schneider agree on is the enforcement action was purely political. Workers at Mira Loma are trying to organize to get higher wages. The "purely" political action has employees getting back pay checks up to $20K.

Why do employers find it so difficult to pay workers for what they do, why are they always trying to tack on "uncompensated" extra's to the job. It's just so indecent. Take from those with the least and funnel it to the top of the organization.

6wheeler and HeWhoMustNotBeNamed Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    Tacking on uncompensated extras is standard operating procedure for the trucking industry. This is the only industry, at least that I'm aware of, that employers are not required to pay their employees for a large percentage of the time they work. It's not going to change either, at least not in the foreseeable future, because drivers lack a representative organization with any real political clout.

Why do employers do this? Because there is no one to stop them from doing it.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Wrong. They do this because there are driver wanna-be's lined up for miles outside carriers all across the nation begging to be abused (a.k.a. desperate for work), and to replace those who decide they've had enough.

fuzzeymateo and 8thnote Thank this.
  5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    wondering how many more threads are going to be discussing this exact issue.

6. fuzzeymateo

fuzzeymateo Heavy Load Member

May 20, 2013
    AZ
    It's a good question and IMO, I would call it the price of government regulation. It's not just in trucking but other companies or fields of work as well. In trucking, companies are forced to comply with DOT, EPA, OSHA , sometimes FDA (depending) and other regulatory bodies and pay the highest federal corporate taxes in the world. It's easier for them to shaft the driver or employee than to not comply with an agency that can shut them down. I'm not justifying them in any way and if you doubt what I'm saying just look at Burger King who this last week announced their move to Canada.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Schneider can get around that by outsourcing that division to a temp service.

Nissan did that in TN; when the workers started causing problems because they are spoiled. The UAW lost out when Nissan started hiring temp service workers.

8. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    So let me get this straight... You expect to be taken seriously discussing partners in crime.. and You have Jimmy Hoffa as an avatar? LOL.. whatever dude...

9. Cody1984

Cody1984 Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2014
    PA
    OP do you have any links to a news outlet/s about this story?

10. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    3 other threads on this today
    with links to article in ny times

11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    not just the ny times. i've seen it all over the web.

cnbc.com also has it. or had on the front page when i saw it. might have to scroll down for older stories by now.

it was posted on our local news websight last week.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.