Schneider - Dedicated (Dollar General) or OTR

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by ArcticWolves, Oct 23, 2019.

1. ArcticWolves

ArcticWolves Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2014
    USA
    Hey all just curious if anyone here has ever ran the dedicated dollar general account or OTR?

What kind of trucks are you running and what sort of things are on your truck like sattellite radios, refrigerators, apu's etc. Am I correct in assuming Dollar general accounts are a PITA since you have to unload them and tight backing situations down narrow spaces? Any input would be great! Thanks in advance :)

Those sign-on bonuses are tempting...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I'm pretty sure all their company trucks have all that.

4. flybynight12

flybynight12 Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2015
    slc
    Last time I remember sni had no apus no friderators and I believe the radio had a feature that you could add your subscription to the radio but sni was not paying for it. That being said the dollar acounts are always looking for drivers so that tells you there is something wrong with the account

5. ArcticWolves

ArcticWolves Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2014
    USA
    Yep took a look at some videos online and nope. Not breaking my back I only have one and need it for my family. Still curious though on the perks in the OTR trucks if anyone knows.

joshlilou Thanks this.
  6. joshlilou

joshlilou Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2017
    Wisconsin
    E4875BB2-0BC4-4056-87F0-02732AFE009D.jpeg 98FCB35D-FC0F-4E4E-A953-D329EEE7E56D.jpeg 4078FC82-F95D-4BD3-8A85-8AFA625485B6.jpeg 50438AB7-453A-40EB-B098-046A085A7B94.jpeg None of that, just regular trucks, showers, vending machines, microwaves on the Distribution Center where you are hired, hard job mostly caused by SOME stores that never care about unloading-storage area then you need to fix the mess around in order to complete your stop quickly, some heavy “rolltainers”. The 10k sign-on bonus paid in 6mos (US Xpress) it’s something like fast money but I don’t believe is a 2+yrs position. @flybynight12 wrote wise words about why every company on any dollar account pay those bonus and always hiring

flybynight12 Thanks this.
  7. joshlilou

joshlilou Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2017
    Wisconsin
    You will gain the general experience of trucking doing OTR, weight tricks, different state laws, planning your hours for days or hours, night and daytime driving, all kind of weather, chain-up, flat and not too flat landscape also there is always money on the wild and again a lot of experiences. [Talking from my own]. Good luck

8. BlackThought

BlackThought Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Memphis,TN
    That #### would have been left there. No way in hell id ever pickup that.

9. joshlilou

joshlilou Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2017
    Wisconsin
    That always was the feeling about it, then the store calling to the DC to report too much rolltainers left behind making last stop of next routes just to pickup “a large quantity of EMPTY rolltainers accumulated”, so the mind battle start.....already here, if I don’t grab some I become part of the problem along with the store-owner and/or its affiliates, then another driver will be paying “ours” sh**s. I always ended up grabbing the most I could push in 53’ while thinking on my next trucking job.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    How many times must I preach do not do dollar generals. Or dollar anything.

The ones we have just toss your trailer load into a big pile 9 feet high and 30 long and pick from as needed. And while you are blocking a major highway trying to back down a parking lot flowing around you on both sides coming and going... you would regret that.

11. 88228822

88228822 Heavy Load Member

Sep 26, 2018
    my friend was otr with Schneider and was assigned a brand new Freightliner with apu, fridge, and inverter (after about 4 months in a Freightliner 10 speed with 625k miles). Most of their new Freightliners DO NOT have apu and fridge however.

He decided to switch to a dedicated account because despite Schneider claiming on their website that the majority of OTR runs are 500-900 miles, he was mostly getting runs under 500 miles and something longer maybe once a week.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.