Schneider,HAZMAT, and,,,,,,,,,,,

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by johnday, Dec 23, 2008.

1. johnday

johnday Road Train Member

Just got offered a job at SNI. They hired me for the HomeRun program out of Woodhaven Mi. I know I won't be making the money I did at other places, but my life situation made this very attractive.

Only additional requirement from me is to get my HAZMAT endorsement. I'm not concerned about the background check,I'm already a FAST/EXPRESS, CTPAT qualified, driver. Is the HAZMAT endorement state by state, or federal?
    Just how tough is the exam? The literature I have been given by the Sec of State office looks like a jumbled up mess to me. This is the Michigan version.LOL.

How about some other Pumpkin drivers chiming in on the HomeRun program. I already know about the slipseating 2 trucks, no inverters large enough to actually run anything, and the ssslllloooowwww trucks.

Are the HomeRun loads usually dedicated? No big deal one way or the other.

Do they try to keep you a certain distance from your home terminal/dropyard?

All in all, it just might work for me.:biggrin_2552:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Waterloo

Waterloo Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Grass Lake, MI
    You can take the HazMat at any Michigan secretary of state office, but you know that. Get the book first and study it for a day or two. And yes, it is a mess. And Schnieder will give you time to get your HazMat, at least they did me as an O/Op. But I run from that stuff, it doesn't pay enough more on my end to justify hauling it for anyone, even Schneider. And the HazMat will cover you nation wide no matter what state you take it in.

As far as Schneider and their "Home Run" program, I have know clue. But, I will tell you this, they have not told me one lie, from the recruiter to the guys and gals giving the orientation. They have really impressed the hell out of me as a company.

Mike

4. johnday

Thanks for the quick reply Mike.

So far they've impressed me as well. One thing that floored me, they rented me a car to drive from Toledo to Green Bay. Sure does beat takin' the bus. Angie told me if they didn't have a truck after orientation they would rent me another car back to WoodHaven. She said they do those things for experienced drivers.
    That's VERY good news about no lies. I've been lied to a couple of times, and it sure left a lasting impression.:biggrin_25525:

5. Waterloo

Nov 16, 2008
    Grass Lake, MI
    Like I said, they have impressed the hell out of me. Everyone has been extremely polite and they actually give me an impression of really caring about our well being, be it at home or on the road. It has been quite a few years since I have worked for such a large company, and I don't think a guy could do much better in regards to working conditions.

Mike

6. johnday

Great!! I see you're over in Grass Lake. Do you run out of WoodHaven? Get to go across the river very much?:biggrin_255:

7. Waterloo

Nov 16, 2008
    Grass Lake, MI
    No, I have yet to make it to Woodhaven, but have been in the Detroiter a few times, yipeee. And no Canada for us O/Ops for some reason. I used to go to Windsor 5 days a week for Ford, but that was a few years ago. I think all of those plants are now gone.

Mike

8. johnday

I don't know about Ford, but the Chrysler plant over by the airport was still working a few months ago. I hauled a lot of loads up to Oshawa for GM, but the last I heard, they were cutting shifts and all. Ford over in Burlington was running into problems just like the rest. A sad situation every where.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.