Schneider National Carriers - Green Bay, Wi.?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by FastFossil, Sep 14, 2005.

1. iggi1

iggi1 Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Wentzville,Missouri
    I see cool ... is it a Industry Norm to offer a benefits package. Also, do team Drivers take the truck Home ? or keep it some where ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PortlandDriver

PortlandDriver RIP, May You Be Heaventown Bound!

May 30, 2005
    Pacific Northwest
    That depends on the company. It is common practice for companies to have policies that if a driver(s) that live less then 25 miles from a terminal to leave the equipement at the yard during home time.

I have taken trucks home with me but that depends on my relationship with my dispacher..

4. mm121

mm121 Bobtail Member

Apr 12, 2006
    TurboTrucker,

I just have a very weird experience with Schneider recruiting.

I filled out their online application yesterday for their CDL training. This afternoon, I received a call from them asking me to call them back. I called and we walked thru the info I put on my application. I thought I was doing well and this recruiter was very nice. We were almost finish when the recruiter asked if she could put me on hold. Well, she hanged up on me. Thinking it was a mistake, I call them back. This time a different recruiter answered and asked me for my SSN. After I gave her my SSN, she told me that Schneider had decided to not proceed with my application. I can sense a complete change of attitude. I asked her to let me know what was the reason for the rejection. Her answer is that since Schneider is a privately held company, it doesn't have to tell me the reason for the rejection.

What I consider weird is the method the 1st recruiter used to get out of the phone conversation. If she would tell me that my application was rejected, then it would have been normal and I would not be posting this message. But by telling me that she'll put me on hold than hanged up on me instead is just plain strange.

So here's my question: On my application, and during the 1st telephone conversation, I put down 1 preventable accident I was involved in. In this accident, the bus I was driving sideswipe a car. No injury. No fatality. And no police record. But I mentioned this accident in both my application and while talking to the 1st recruiter anyway. Could this is what keeping me from getting a Schneider's offer?

Thank you in advance for any input you'll provide into this.

5. TurboTrucker

TurboTrucker Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2005
    Rossville, Georgia
    You're right. That is very weird.

Do you remember what exactly the two of you were covering on your application at the time she wanted to put you on hold? Do you remember exactly what you were talking about as well?

I don't know Schneider's exact hiring criteria, but I can't see that a minor accident as you describe, would cause this type of reaction or exclusion. You were being honest and up-front about it, which is certainly the best policy.

I find that that a response of, "since Schneider is a privately held company, it doesn't have to tell me the reason for the rejection" to be a totally unacceptable response.

When you apply to their company, they want minute details of your life and past, yet they cannot extend the courtesy to at least explain to you why you were declined? Then to hang up on you in the middle of a call in that manner? Nope....that's not right at all.

As much as I think of the way they have raised the bar, and turned around their operations, things like this will cause me to turn my support elsewhere, because hanging up on people and refusing to tell them why they have decided to "not complete processsing your application" is skirting laws that were enacted to prevent this kind of crap. That choice of wording is suspect as well.

I'm getting wind of several complaints from people that have experienced similar experiences to this with their recruiters. At some point, I will be contacting their management for a statement that I intend on printing in this forum.

6. mm121

mm121 Bobtail Member

Apr 12, 2006
    TurboTrucker,

Thank you for your quick response.

She hanged up on me after we went over the criminal history portion of my application. TurboTrucker, I have a clean record. No misdemeanor, no felony. 1 ticket in the last 3 years. College graduate.

But anyway, thank you for letting me know that the accident probably will not be an issue with other companies. Do you recommend Roehm? CRST?

Again, thank you for your guidance and I hope to follow your footstep (or should that be a truck exhaust pipe :D ) one of these days.

MM121

7. tjgosurf

tjgosurf <strong>New Driver Helper</strong>

Feb 20, 2006
    I know what you mean, they wouldn't give me a reason either. Like you I have no criminal record, nothing negative on my driving record, stable work history, not really sure what else they want from me. I even went and got my CDL permit resubmitted my application. I was rejected again.

You may not have the same resources I do, but what I am doing is I know a few O/O's and I am driving with them until I feel confident enough to goto DMV and take their test. While I am not getting paid, I am learning quite a bit.

8. mm121

mm121 Bobtail Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Hello tjgosurf,

I think I might be able to get an O/O to spare me some change for the weeks I help him.

I've been told that there's a guy locally who, for $350, guarantees that I'll get my CDL provided I know how to operate the truck. For the $350, he'll rent me his truck and, as a bonus, show me exactly what is needed to pass the driving test on the same course used by the state for testing.

My concern is how good are my driving skills after that? Can I make up for my lack of knowledge with the 3 to 6 weeks initial training most carriers insist on giving us newbies? You know the one where they pay you $300 - $350 a week?

9. TurboTrucker

TurboTrucker Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2005
    Rossville, Georgia
    The only obstacle I see in both your cases is that without a "formal", and I do use the word loosely, training program in your backgrounds, the hiring by most starting carriers will be tedious.

Personally, I'd rather hear of a driver being trained in the way that you two are discussing, but for some silly reason, motor carriers and insurance companies are under the impression that the CDL mills are superior, when the fact is they are inferior...

So...Schneider for some reason has rejected the two of you. They refuse to say why. It's not right and I don't understand this at all.

I do have another idea.

Crete Carriers. I know the company, and they are a bit easier to work with, and they offer a decent training program, although it's not on site. They work with a community college.

http://www.cretecarrier.com/drive/qualifications-student.cfm

10. jalogging

jalogging Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2006
    if i were u guys id look into if they equal opp employers if they r i believe they have to disclose why another thing u might want to check is did someone put somthing negative on your dac report ? that happened to me some person in human resourses used the wrong ss# and put in i was terminated for misuse of co funds this was a big error but it happens. and it would keep you from getting hired most any place

11. mm121

mm121 Bobtail Member

Apr 12, 2006
    jalogging,

How do I pull a DAC report on myself? Thnx. MM

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.