Schneider newbies= lack of training

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Worried Mom, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Hagerstown

Hagerstown Bobtail Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Mom, your post may not be totally accurate. I trained with Schneider at their Charlotte, NC Operating Center in 2005. At that time, we did a combination of classroom and driver training which ran at least 2 months, and only when the company cleared us, could we take our license examinations. After successfully getting the CDL, we were placed with a driving trainer for a minimum of 1 month and taught how the real road works with all its' imperfections. And we all know, there are plenty of those to go around.. Be safe out there.:biggrin_25520:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dthatrucker

dthatrucker Bobtail Member

Nov 20, 2013
    I can vouch for that, former driver for Schneider here, spent 5 days OTR with a trainer and that's it. I got turned around coming out of the Gary, IN facility and seen where it was safe and legal and made a u turn and they let me go for that. I was NOT to be out on the road by myself at that time anyways. They hurry you through the whole 3 week orientation process and tell you that they're not there to teach you how to drive, that we should've learned that in truck driving school. They told us it was basically a 3 week job interview. So they're orientation and if you want to call it training, I think that's the incorrect term for it. Any suggestions on where to go to work would be appreciated.

4. OPUS 7

OPUS 7 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Anne,I believe was her name,talked in depth to us in Charlotte.
    She said over,and over..No U-turns,ever.
    Also told a story about a driver she caught up from the yard doing a
    U-turn.She was done for the week,but drove back to the yard,and
    had the driver fired.
    I still do em.You just cant do it with Schneider.Different companies
    get all jacked up over whatever they choose as theyre hot spots.
    I also heard you can get booted at TMC,just for pooping on the lawn?:pottytrain5:

5. Tjrho2121

Tjrho2121 Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2020
    Just finished Schneider orientation Aug 2020. I had two weeks in the classroom with some driving. Covid safety protocol slowed us down. Then I had one week with trainer. I am nerves, excited, and suck at backing. This first year is going to suck, but I am determined.

6. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Okay, my years-ago training experience with Schneider: I believe it was two weeks in the classroom, then 3 weeks of CDL and maneuvering training, passed my CDL test, two weeks on the road with a trainer and another trainee, and then I got a tractor.

Call it a month and a half of training? I thought they were pretty excellent in 2003. Lord knows what they are like now.

7. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Your backing will improve the more you do it. Don't let anyone rush you. Take your time and G.O.A.L. The main thing is not to hit anything.

alds, Dave_in_AZ, Lonesome and 7 others Thank this.
  8. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Maybe start a new thread, and give us some details on your experience. It just may help someone else out!

Bumper and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  9. Teacher2Trucker

Teacher2Trucker Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2020
    Detroit, Mi
    Where did you train at? Any packing tips? I'm considering training with them for a dedicated route where I can be home daily.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  10. Danny707

Danny707 Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2019
    I went SNI training academy 2019 via the apprenticeship program if you had a CDL permit. 2 weeks in school training all 1 on 1 training , week 3/4 I drove over the road with an experience driver and I did 90% of the driving “no team BS” week 5 I was sent to Indianapolis for CDL exam first 2 days we did some more backing and pre trip etc I passed my CDL on the 2nd try. Week 6 I went home for a week waiting for my CDL paper work to come in the mail. Week 7 we did 2 days of training again then day 3 I received my truck and day 4 I was out and about going from Charlotte, NC to Westfield, MA. I did my 1 year of OTR 123k safe miles and finally took a local gig with another company. They have excellent training especially at the Charlotte terminal.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    Dave_in_AZ and Teacher2Trucker Thank this.
  11. dieselpowered

dieselpowered Heavy Load Member

May 16, 2016
    You know I hear they say its bad they said what 3 days? did no one speak up? I am under the impression they train students to start to CDL IDK never been through Schlender with no experience I had experienced when I tried them took road test passed rather easy not any difficulty at all if you can't pass there back or road test you definitely shouldn't even have a CDL.

People want to blame everyone and everything for there issues except themselves me if it's me I admit to only one person and only because I sleep with it every night that aside will never apologize to anyone else

These people who blame poor training why they get speeding tickets or speed events, wrecks they try to come up some excuse why it happens and its never them who caused it its the company. The bottom line you get what you put into this line work, if you are a complete piece crap person bad habits and somehow have a CDL your not gonna be in the work long it can catch up and #### will hit the fan and your screwed. Me I have always did my utmost protect myself and CDL everyone else they can #### themselves rather I am doing only 65 in a 65 or not driving when drinking by that i mean my girl will do the driving lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.