Schneider, Transport America for newbies?

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Batdog, Nov 23, 2007.

1. almostthere

almostthere Light Load Member

May 23, 2010
    MN
    You posted this on a very old thread, but I doubt your age had anything to do with being turned down by Schneider. there are a lot of older people that go into trucking. If your driving and criminal record is fairly clean with no dui's you should be pretty good to go. Most companies also want a somewhat stable employment history. Schneider does not have a cdl school so if you don't have your cdl you'll have to get that from one of their approved schools before they'll hire you. Do a search on this site and you'll find companies that have their own schooling. Check out Roehl.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. r0addoctor

r0addoctor Bobtail Member

Mar 1, 2008
    North Tonawanda,New York
    Exactly what the first guy said,you need a class A CDL with a HAZ-Mat endorsement.I'm guessing that you may need some experience with 18wheelers but don't quote me on that.The long and short of it is I don't think it's your age as much as a lack of the necessary requirements.Check it out and find out for sure,then you'll know what you need to have.Good luck.

4. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    have seen its not a requirement for hazmat at hirng , just a willingness to try to get it. Othe SNI drivers on here don't have it and haven't been harrassed to get it the endorsement.

5. Peedlezong

Peedlezong Bobtail Member

Dec 27, 2011
    I have a phone interview scheduled with schneider at which time I'm sure i'll have some things clarified for my own benefit. In the mean time I'm wondering, what would be considered my first day of employment should I move on to orientation? Would it be at the start or during orientation or after it completes. When would a company show up on dac?

Also does anybody have any insight on their pay rate out of training as well as any sign on bonus? I'm not quite sure if the recruiter even mentioned anything about a bonus, though I saw it mentioned in this thread.

6. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    no sign on bonus unless you are team I think, or exp for OTR.

You are considered an employee on the last day of orientation. Make it that far then you will get paid for that week and through your training process.
    I've been sitting for almost 2 weeks waiting to go out with my trainer. Getting training pay for it. 450 week.
    Now if you refuse or cant go out when your trainer calls you to go , you go off salary until you do go out.

7. TennMan

TennMan Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hazzard County Jail !!!!!
    Schneider requires that a prospect for employment have a CDL-A with experience OR be a recent graduate from a CDL school they approve of. The age was not a factor. the fact you don't have a CDL-A is the problem. Go to an approved school and reapply and if they are hiring from your area and everything else is good you should get hired.

8. DGMusic

DGMusic Bobtail Member

May 1, 2011
    Panama City Beach, FL
    My Schneider training, last summer, was a week of classroom with other new CDLs. (They also have CDL school at some locations, which is completely separate.) Then 2 weeks with training driver (could be more or less, depending on how you do). Then the "final exam," aka SQT.

I was paid $400/week for training, and was in my own truck 3 1/2 weeks from the day I got my CDL. I'm on a dedicated account, similar to Walmart, and run 2,300-3,000 miles per week, home almost every weekend.

I can whine about starting at $.29/mile (I'm at $.31 after 6 months), but the more important thing is how they treat me as a driver. If I have a hot date, they'll get me home Friday night (OK, I've had like ... one ... hot date in 6 months, LOL.) I mentioned my Dad's in Atlanta and they try to give me loads going that direction. Working with people who care about keeping drivers happy is worth a lot more than a couple extra pennies per mile.

9. Traveler51

Traveler51 Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Greensboro, NC
    I called them and was told I need to have my CDL. I applied on one of their links for one of their "tuition reimbursement" deals. Anyway... I'm just starting out this year driving a school bus and getting my class A CDL this summer. Hope I can save up and not be owning some company. No real hurry now.

10. PeterO

PeterO Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2011
    West Bath, ME USA
    Hi,

First Post.....

I see a lot "stable employment history"
    and "verifyable employment references", things of that nature.

I've run my own small construction business since 1994.
    Prior to that I owned & ran a restaurant.

That brings me back almost 20 years since I've worked a "real" job.
    Therefore I have no employment references for the past 3 years.

This will be a problem for me, isn't it.

Thanks for your attention

11. TomSlick

TomSlick Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2011
    I am in the same boat for being self employeed,you would think a clean back ground check would be enough for these companies:biggrin_2552: but not,so i will copy and fudge front page of tax return to show income that will make them happy...:biggrin_25514:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.