Schneider versus large paper rolls

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by AFSTruckerswife, Jul 25, 2012.

1. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    Most that haul out of the mill where I deliver bales don't even put straps on the rolls just the rubber mats on the bottom they don't have any problems

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Out of sight out of mind or what? Some of the things they put in vans is crazy. Like the sides are really going to hold that stuff in.
    macon-accident-truck-loses-paper-rolls

4. aiwiron

aiwiron Road Train Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    If anyone remembers the 495 south bound ramp in Virginia that used to be roll over number one for paper roll trucks, they would hit the ramp too fast and it was a flat ramp with no graduated slope.

5. skibum_63

skibum_63 Road Train Member

Oct 12, 2007
    somewhere, USA
    thats easy to answer,,,
    EVERY ONE OF THESE MEGA COMPANIES,
    are forcing out the sr. and expreanced driver in droves. In order to show a better bottom line at the end of the month.
    Why else would they all be ######## that there is a drivers shortege?

6. metric adjustable

metric adjustable Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2010
    dunno; gps is down
    Never had trouble hauling rolls of corregate, or even bilge loads of newsprint. I have noticed lately that most shippers now strap both forward and aft groups of vertical rolls together in addition to the rubber matts.

Any load can kill you if you don't drive appropriately.

chico9696 Thanks this.
  7. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    No problem here either....not that I'm so good......just respect the freight like it's liquid. Packy has it right, ramp speed is for 4 wheelers.....cut it in half for trucks.

Ur lucky if you get rubber for the floor on these....... The Boise mill just set them on a sheet of brown paper for me......heavy too......

8. chico9696

chico9696 Medium Load Member

Feb 12, 2009
    USA
    Well said!

9. formertaxidriver

formertaxidriver Heavy Load Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Aiea, HI
    If a good sized roll hits an e-rail strap, it will either pull the track off, or collapse the walls of the trailer. Saw this twice from SmurfitStone in MT.

10. Scorcher21

Scorcher21 Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Crossville Tn
    I haul paper quite a bit and friggen hate it. I always throw at least one strap on up high, to keep em from shifting in a sudden movement, and take turns and ramps like grandma. These rolls are Tall heavy and on end with a wide footprint and going to leave you with a high center of gravity. Any kind of movement beyond what a top strap can stop is going to be a bad day. My condolences to the lost and injured but you always have to remember what your hauling and take care with top heavy loads.

11. slowpoke89

slowpoke89 Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Slowpoke land
    Doesnt surprise me, the schnieder driving school is nothing more than a glorified, company owned cdl mill.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.