Schneider versus large paper rolls

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by AFSTruckerswife, Jul 25, 2012.

1. kwray

kwray Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    The only practical way to haul rolls of paper is with rubber mats on the floor and blocks of wood nailed to the floor against the rolls. I've hauled 80" rolls every day for several years with only rubber mats on the floor. Never had a problem. Most of them have a low enough aspect ratio that they will slide against the wall long before they tip over. Where you may run into a problem is when you have shorter rolls (25,000 ft of material) on a narrower core making the roll a lot taller than its diameter. And there's really no point in strapping them in. If they wanna go, they'll either break the straps or pull the A slots out of the wall posts. I laugh every time I see a load with friction type load bar trying to hold the rolls in place! But like someone said, any load can kill you if its not properly driven.

Gotta love the news reporter"...rolls of paper weighing several hundred pounds..."...more like several THOUSAND pounds, rubberneck!!

dogcatcher and FLATBED Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dogcatcher

dogcatcher Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2010
    tn
    they might work in a cutian side or a conastoga but then again i hate hauling coils as much as the sound of yall hate hauling paper rolls. thanks for the info

4. ukdon

ukdon Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    I haul them quite alot, have to remember very high center of gravity. Very slow on turns, no fast movements on road.

5. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    These new drivers learned their trade from watching "The Fast And The Furious".

Otr294highway Thanks this.
  6. -insert name-

-insert name- ATM squishier

Jul 12, 2012
    SOMEWHERE
    Yup. You can't drive a truck like its a stock car, you'll end up killing someone.

7. Mr. PlumCrazy

Mr. PlumCrazy Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Lexington NC
    Well they can go to the mill and site every company and driver the only thing they do is put a rubber mat under them and that will keep them from sliding even in hard braking I use to haul them and was 6k over on the drives didnt want to go all the way back to the mill so I found a steep hill put it in reverse floored it and slammed on brakes rolls didnt move a inch I should have held on to my coffee it ended up in the sleeper

Otr294highway Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.