Schneider Walmart out of Wintersville, Ohio

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by Schweiss, Nov 25, 2015.

1. milehunter43

milehunter43 Heavy Load Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Ohio
    Good to know, thanks :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sicksfeet

sicksfeet Medium Load Member

Aug 15, 2009
    line 1
    I ran a Walmart account for a year. It's easy, of course I ran out of Alabama so it was mostly Alabama and florida(easy). I wouldn't be so happy climbing mountains every night. Only thing is your personal life gets impacted pretty hard. All the reefer loads are overnight. Work and sleep and work and sleep and then sleep for 34 hours. Then work.

4. TDriver4Life

TDriver4Life Medium Load Member

So I've been thinking of doing this account for some time and I think I am finally going to give it a shot. It seems simple. Take a trailer out, deliver it to the various stores and come back empty or with a back haul. But you know there is going to be some one there who just has to screw things up to where the job is not tolerable/enjoyable. If I may present some questions/concerns that I have?
    1. What are the chances of getting assigned to a truck; slim? If not assigned do you get to pick from the trucks sitting there when you start your week?
    2. What time of the day do you typically start? 2-5pm or more around 10 pm?
    3. How far west into Ohio does this DC cover?
    4. Has Schneider joined the in-cab camera club?
    5. Do the loads make sense to how they are routed? Meaning do they put stores that are near each other like first stop in canton, then the next akron then something else close or do they just any stores on to a load?
    6. Is there any training involved with this account?

I much appreciate any and all information. I apologize if its been asked before.

5. bellstromr

bellstromr Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2016
    1. For the first few weeks you'll be slip seating until a truck opens up. There is supposed to be 40 new trucks coming in soon, so it may be sooner. There aren't many open trucks so choosing isn't likely an option.
    2. You can start either morning or nights, assuming when you set your next available time. One week could be nights and the next days. Some people stay on just days or nights, it depends on a few different factors.
    3. This DC goes up towards Sandusky and NE/E Ohio. Also it does a lot of Pittsburgh and northern WV.
    4.The truck I have doesn't have a camera, so from I know, no.
    5. The routes do make sense and are close to each other. There isn't usually anything too far out of route.
    6. Training is required if you're a new driver. Experienced drivers only do a day long ride along just to get familiar with the process.

This job is the easiest driving job I've had. The worst part of the job is traffic in the cities and some crappy mountain routes in West Virginia. Pay is good once you recognize when it's best to set your start times and if you're willing to do 2 loads a day when possible. Schedule for most is a 6 on and 2 off and you're given a 56 hour reset, some choose only to do a 34 hour for more money.

TDriver4Life and Lonesome Thank this.
  6. TDriver4Life

Thanks bellstromr. I really appreciate it. Just to clarify a few things/ ask a few more questions if I may? With being a new guy (experienced driver) on the account I'm sure they'll stick me with mostly night loads. If that is the case what time does those loads tend to go out? I don't mind the night shift, I've done it before. Just as long as it (the night shift) doesn't start at like 9 or 10pm.
    Second- do the trucks have an idle shutdown where they turn themselves off after a few minutes of idling? That sucks when you are trying to warm the truck up in the winter.
    Third- How are the showers at the DC? Some say not to shower there. Are you allowed to fuel at a truckstop so you can get a free shower?
    Lastly- Are you saying you actually get two full days off after your week out? I figured it would be 34 hours max.
    Again thanks a million.

7. bellstromr

bellstromr Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2016
    I'm not too sure on all the start times. I know some guys start late at night, some guys start at 4 PM, and some guys start at 9AM it all depends on when you say you're available. I myself don't like driving in the middle of the night so I try my best to start as early as possible. They usually have enough drivers to cover the overnight loads so they don't mind.
    All the new trucks have the idle shutdown with anything over 10 degrees. It does suck, but if you don't get an automatic you can just press the clutch in every few minutes to keep it running.
    The showers are just fine, I think they updated them a little while ago; they are cleaned on a regular basis.
    And yes it will be 6 days on and 56 hours off. Of course you're always allowed to take less if 56 hours would start you at 10PM and you wanted to start at 4pm instead.

TDriver4Life Thanks this.
  8. Schweiss

Schweiss Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Welp... Will be joining the Mighty Pumpkin next month; heading to orientation first week of February. Thanks to all the SNI drivers on here who have shared their experiences and have been willing to answer questions!

bellstromr - thanks for chiming in here; I got the basic information from the recruiter when she went over the account with me, but you filled in some details that I had questions about - really appreciate it.

Looking forward to getting started...

9. TDriver4Life

You going to do the WalMart account as well Schweiss? I probably will be as well. I have the phone interview scheduled for today. Do they do orientation in Carlisle?

10. Schweiss

Schweiss Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Pittsburgh, PA
    TDriver4Life - Yes - went over a couple other jobs with the recruiter, but the Walmart account fits best with what I'm looking for. Orientation will be in Carlisle - gave me the option of a bus ticket (Thanks, but no thanks!) or reimburse me for gas (Yes!) if I drive myself. Let me know if you apply there as well.

11. TDriver4Life

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.