school or company training?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by SFB, Mar 22, 2007.

1. SFB

SFB Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Wylie,Texas
    like the title asks...school or company training...which is the better choice...I know your pretty much oblegated to a company that trains you for a while but if it's a good company whats the diff...3k-4k for school isn't to atractive to me, unless I knew I where really getting my moneys worth. what have been ya'lls experience?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dstockwell

dstockwell Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2006
    Georgia
    Problem is very few companies who will train you can be considered close to good. Your odds of finding better compnaies after completion of school is better, as long as its a good school. None of the 3 - 4 week schools are going to be any better than company. If a comunity college is near by, see if they have a program.

4. kevn

kevn Bobtail Member

Mar 4, 2007
    Indiana
    I had asked that same question when I was researching. I beleive its better to go with a school. The pay is less when you go through company training. Plus when going through a company training you must sign a contract. The difference in pay is somewhere around 6 to 10 cents per mile. I personally spent the money to goto school. Most companys will give you a reimburstment back for schooling. Good Luck in finding what works best for you.

5. rangerman1

rangerman1 Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Cheney, Wa
    Ditto the rest. It's true. swift's "academy" and schneider's own system are 2 such examples. They make it alluring to prospective drivers. Easily arrainged, Company provided cdl training, truck to test in, etc. etc. Catch is: you're obligated to drive for THEM, and you'll be paid less that first year. Most of the big co's that hire no-experience drivers don't treat them very well. This goes DOUBLE if you're obligated to stay with em. Plus most offer loan re-payment programs. Don't worry though, with gained experience, you'll find much better treatment! Good luck pard.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.