Scoop on USA Truck OTR and Working for them

Discussion in 'USA Truck' started by Jarheaddriver, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Jarheaddriver

Jarheaddriver Light Load Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Anna, TX
    I am currently in school in FT Worth, working on my CDL for USA Truck. I was hoping someone could answer a couple of questions on the OTR portion of the training.

1. How long is the OTR Training? Recruiter is telling me 3 weeks to 6 weeks. USA is saying 28 days to 6 weeks. Paperwork states 6 weeks....

Has anyone recently completed the OTR and can tell me the details of it.

2. How much seat time do you get during the OTR Training?

3. Anyone know any good trainers to request...lol:biggrin_2556:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cjoe85

cjoe85 Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I just graduated from Driver Solutions out of St. Louis. We had a lot of former students, who now drive for USA come back. Anyway, from what they told us and from all that I have been told from DS as well as USA OTR training is four to six weeks long. You should be done in four unless your trainer recommends that you have more training time, in which case it'll be six weeks. I hope that this helps.

4. Jarheaddriver

Jan 27, 2008
    Anna, TX
    thanks for the update.... I am hoping to get the road test done next week and be ready for the OTR by the 2nd week of Feb....

5. LadyTrucker99

LadyTrucker99 Heavy Load Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Lexington, NC
    It all depends on you and the trainer--depending on how good the trainer is but dont get discouraged. Most places it usually lasts 3-6 weeks. I would say the avg is 4 weeks though. You will be just fine--dont stress and learn all you can while your with a trainer. :yes2557:

6. Jarheaddriver

Jan 27, 2008
    Anna, TX
    That is what am I hoping for, a good trainer that will give me some knowledge on the Commerical Civilian Tractors.... I have driven heavies in the Corps, but not quite as long as a 53' trailer..... I understand most of the skills, but need to understand a none military truck....

My dad keeps telling me the same thing, listen to the trainer and if it's not a good one, don't get pissed off, just professionally ask the company to get me another trainer..... Kinda glad it is winter right now to, so I can get the cold weather driving knowledge from someone that has been there longer then a season.....:biggrin_25515:

thanks

7. truckingirl3603

truckingirl3603 Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Indianapolis, IN
    I went to Driver Solutions' campus in Indianapolis and I work for USA Truck as well.. it was great! Are you enjoying your time at Fort Worth? (probably a LOT warmer than it is here) I can't remember my trainer's name, but I've been with them for 2 years and I'm really glad that Driver Solutions was able to help me out and get me training, cause I would've been clueless on my own!

My training took about 5 weeks, keep in mind that 28 days IS 4 weeks, so your recruiter is not that far off ;) It just makes it seem shorter to say it that way. OTR training is fun, I really liked it even better than school and I did enjoy myself then too. Good luck and don't get too stressed!!!

8. Jarheaddriver

Jan 27, 2008
    Anna, TX
    I am liking the school here so far, the instructors are cool, and really know there stuff.... I am glad to hear that you are liking USA, I hope I am the same way once I get into the OTR and then my own Truck.....

as for being warmer, I am not sure, today it was in the 30's with a 10 degree drop for the wind (30 mph)

:violent2:

9. Jarheaddriver

Jan 27, 2008
    Anna, TX
    Well,

Today I completed the range and got my CDL.... I finish up next week and then off to the OTR Training.....:biggrin_25525:

10. LadyTrucker99

LadyTrucker99 Heavy Load Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Lexington, NC
  11. cjoe85

cjoe85 Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.