Sdp to 2ws conversion wiring help

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Jakeharrington0, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Jakeharrington0

Jakeharrington0 Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2018
    i have a 2008 western start vin z95507 that originallly had a sdp cat engine in it. Ive bought all new stock harnesses for that vin z95507 and put my fully rebuilt and tested 2ws in the truck. It starts runs and has a gas pedal that works. The cruise engine brake and fan switches all dont work properly. Im sure i need to alter the harness in a way.

I have cat ET If it is necessary. Can anyone please help me figure out what pins i must switch around to make this truck work right

Thanks in advance
    Jake harrington

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    Are you sure the ecm doen't need a small program change?

4. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    My 16 ws glider did the same thing when I put my 2ws in it..
    Ws dealer changed some pin out locations on the plug on fire wall.
    I wish I could tell you more but the dealer fixed it for me..
    Exactly same prob tho, no Jake or cruise and manual fan swith no work.
    I know it was in the plug from firewall to engine harness. Just swapped some pin outs to different spot in plug.
    It' is not program.

SAR, Oxbow and bigguns Thank this.
  5. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    I think it is because you truck is set up for a 120 pin ecm and your 2ws is 70 pin.

So understandable as to why you have to change the pin outs.

You'l need a wiring diagram for your 2ws pin locations and just start tracing wires.
    Test what pins on the firewall control what function and hook up as per 2ws needs.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  6. Jakeharrington0

Jakeharrington0 Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Can you send me which dealer you used so i can them up. Maybe your company name so i can give them a reference and they can figure it out?

Also was it the firewall plug by the steering column or the plug by the aircleanes in the stack of three

7. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    I screwed up. It was actually my 2012 glider I put my 2ws in. So we are going back almost 7 years. I can not remember exactly what plug it was.
    I use the WS dealer in Abbotsford, BC. Canada. Good bunch guys, but I bet there not going to know off hand what pins they changed as it was a long time ago..

Your going to have to just dive in and start figuring it out... find out what plug has all the wires coming from the truck to ecm. Then just matter of tracing what wires do what. Shouldn't be to hard ,just some time .

If you do talk to them , tell the service guy it was the green IPEX trucks that work down the road from them.
    I have a feeling they just dug in and figured it out. Good luck, you'l get it with some patience and a good test light.!!

8. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Here is some diagrams for you. These are the CAT side of the harness. See where the pins were on the SDP then move them to the correct location on the 2WS harness. If it still does not work after that, it is a programming issue. In Cat ET you can pick which pin the inputs are connected into, there are several option for each pin. Also the inputs may have been multiplexed on the SDP and no actual wires ran to the ecm. I dont know enough about western stars to help you further.

Attached Files:

• 2WS.pdf
      File size:
      560.3 KB
      Views:
    • SDP.pdf
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
    Oxbow, swaan and SAR Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.