Seafoam into the intake a good idea?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Death Hauler, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Death Hauler

Death Hauler Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2017
    Hey guys I used sea foam through the intake on several gasoline engines with pretty good results. I recently removed one of the intake hoses off my Volvo VNL D12 engine and it looks like hell in there. Would idling the truck and letting seafoam trickle into the intake hurt a Diesel engine in any way?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    There are YouTube vids of people using SF on their diesels with no harm.. and the can from the manufacturer says it's safe.. but in the end you're looking at a pretty expensive piece of equipment and a judgment call.
    Would I do it??
    Probably.
    I've used it on gasoline engines with great results.
    Watch the YT vids and make a decision for yourself.

4. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I know it looks like hell. Keep in mind anything you clean outta the intake is run right through the cylinder before it's blown out the exhaust through the turbo. Some things are better off to let ride till it's apart for another issue

5. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Seafoam is a gimmick. The number one thing in it is ammonia. You can get the same results with ammonia and not pay out of your butt for it. I remember it smelling just like DEF.

6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    It's good for cleaning up valves and valve stems, but not much else. That stuff will ruin DOC's and plug DPFs so if you have that you must disconnect the after treatment.

7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I was even sketched out about it plugging up my cat on my pickup. Definitely wouldn't want to ruin the the magic box on a new diesel.

8. T800H

T800H Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2010
    The Keys
    I have and continue to use seafoam with good results on all my engine, specially two strokes, I have put it in my Cat many time but never through the intake, always in the fuel, I won't want to clean up all the crap that has accumulated in many years in just a few seconds and go straight through the valves and than the turbo blades, no way.

9. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    You know what's going to happen if you stub your toe and dump a large amount in all at once right? While the engine is running I'm saying.

wore out and SAR Thank this.
  10. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    I don't smell any ammonia in it, it smells like rubbing alcohol to me, nothing like DEF. I've never used it on a diesel or through an intake. My chainsaws and weed trimmers are much happier 1st start of the spring when I add a little to the gas before winter.

SAR Thanks this.
  11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I ran half a can of it through the vacuum line on my 360 Magnum and let it sit for 20 minutes. Fired it up and floored it down the highway. Basically ran the #### out of it for about 10 minutes before the exhaust cleaned up (for the first 2 minutes I couldn't even see the tailgate lol). Tried it again a few weeks later and it smoked a fraction of the amount it did the first time. The guy at the autoparts store tried it on his freshly rebuilt 350 Chev and it hardly put a puff out the tailpipe. So I have to believe it does do something.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.