Seasonal Agriculture o/o

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by moloko, Jun 26, 2017.

1. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    Hey drivers. I'm expecting to get a financial windfall in the near future, probably enough to buy a 2-axle agricultural truck. I was interested in hauling tomatoes or other ag. products seasonally--this would be enough to pay off this beater of a truck I'm considering, and leave some good profit behind.

I have no truck in mind actually--just a general idea. I know some of these agriculture owner/operators can net about $50k for a grape harvest season out here in California.

Just wanted to see who has done this, and what your thoughts are on it. After 5 years as a company driver, I'm well fed up with the boss. This is all just a crack delusion until I get some solid advice, by the way.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    if it pays good enough a guy can make enough money if he is careful to take it easy during the slow times on seasonal freight. iv done it in the past the last several years mostly construction during the summer fertilizer in the spring iv taken at least a few months off in the winter. constuction is dead this year for me though so still pulling hopper might have to work this winter. it still takes quite a bit of money to float the fixed expenses while the truck isn't running so you have to have some good paying work and be on top of it when its go time. your still need to gross well over 50k to make it work more like 120+

no idea what seasonal produce pays in your area didn't even know anyone actually hauled commercial produce with a bobtail truck?

4. RET423

RET423 Medium Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Kalifornia
    Old beater trucks burn through money, tomato hauling does not pay enough to burn money; if you are a very capable mechanic this plan might prove profitable but if you are planning on relying on tow trucks and hired mechanics then you might as well take the money to Vegas and try your luck there.

moloko and rollin coal Thank this.
  5. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    I'm wondering if it would be worth it to rent a 2-axle truck to haul agriculture products seasonally. I am going to have about 20K in liquid assets soon but my credit is horrible. Can someone share some ideas on a business model? I know all about driving but nothing about the business side of this game; and that's gonna screw me hard

6. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

Being a good or great driver but not a business man means stay an employee.

The plan you're outlining isn't a successful one.

fordconvert and RET423 Thank this.
  7. RET423

RET423 Medium Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Kalifornia
    Open a Scottrade account with the 20 grand and split up the money between 5 stable growth stocks, in 4 years you will have about 85 or 90 grand and your options will be much better. In the meantime drive for someone else to make the bills, if that someone is a smaller company you can learn much about the business side in that 4 years.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.