Seasoned Drivers...'What if there is another Recession ?'

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by tman78, Jul 19, 2018.

1. tman78

tman78 Medium Load Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Seasoned Drivers...how did you live through 'Recession Times?'

Ok,..so a recession is inevitable at some point and time. The freight is moving and companies are hungry for drivers (but this won't last)

Can some of you Seasoned Pros share with us, what happens during a recession and how it affects 'Truck Drivers?'

Here's a read from last recession but its not up-to-date.

"Trucking employment closely follows the state of the economy – not many industries are hurt by swings in economic activity like freight transportation."

Link

Thoughts / Opinions ?

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I haul processed foods, dairy, and wine. No slow times here. It’s good to work in a nation full of fatties and women who like their wine.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  4. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    The company I was working for back in the last one 10 years ago was booming, did nothing but help us. Depends what you haul. If you haul generic food label, you’re golden as people will be looking to cut costs. If you haul lumber or construction materials, chances are you’ll take a hit

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Everyone eats, most drink milk or have a little alcohol on occasion. Pull reefers and even during a recession you'll stay busy.
    Edit: most trucking slows down over any holiday season, except reefers. Reefer freight increases during those times.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  6. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    There will be another recession. This business is cyclical. Capitalism is cyclical. Nothing can continue to increase forever. Save what you can, don't live beyond your means. Try to imagine what your life would be like if you had a few years where rather than your usual 60 grand is reduced to 45 grand. Can you survive? Plan accordingly ahead of time. BTW we are in the longest recovery in history. Take a look at some charts like what I have added here and consider what they are telling you. Good idea to live paycheck to paycheck?
    [​IMG]

Look what happened in 2008 when the housing went down. Before that in 2000 with the dot com bubble. When you see billboards offering 0% down for new mortgages consider what happens if the price of the house falls rather than continually rises. We are going down the same path. Only this time, you are already 20-some trillion in debt, inflation is rising, cpi is rising, and how do you put the brakes on runaway inflation? You increase the interest rate to borrow money. Puts the brakes on the economy. Only this time, how much money will have to be printed to prop up the economy? As the economy slows due to rising interest rates to battle inflation government revenues will drop while expenditures for unemployment, etc. will rise. All compounding the problem. I think the US currency is in for one real heck of a ride... We will see if it manages to remain the global reserve currency. I have my doubts. I am beginning to think Peter Schiff has it correct, just not sure on the timing. I think if Trump loses in the midterm elections he stands a good chance of impeachment. Which I think would just kill the economy faster. What I can't seem to understand is how gold has dropped from ~1300 to ~1220 in the last few weeks. I haven't made my move, yet, thankfully. Anyway. I am rivaling x1 here for post length. So that's enough for now.

7. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Wine probably picks up then and alcohol in general.

D.Tibbitt, Oldironfan and Chinatown Thank this.
  8. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    If you do the duty better than others, always on time and present yourself professionally it will be just another day in paradise but the parking and crowds will be a bit less making it easier. Been in a couple of them.

starmac Thanks this.
  9. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I remember diesel prices being $7-9 in some places when I was a company driver way back then. Many trucking companies went out of business. Now that I'm an OO, I have a comfortable savings so there's no reason to stress.

10. bigdad7

bigdad7 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    Bought my first truck for 8000 cash in 2009 right in the middle of it ....made a killing cash is King

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I made a lot of money then, it is amazing what you can do.

I don't know why people read these scrapped blog reports, they are looking for customers. There are a couple good companies for market advice but they are for large and medium fleet owners and not cheap to get access to.

Lepton1, Lab work and Oldironfan Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.