SEC Auto Transport/LMR Trucking

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by interpreter, Jul 12, 2019.

1. interpreter

interpreter Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Does anyone have any information on this company? I talked to them, seems like a good outfit. Any info would be appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ziggy319

Ziggy319 Medium Load Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Syracuse,ny
    I have met the owner on several occasions. Seems like a great guy. Company seems to also be very good from what I have heard.

interpreter Thanks this.
  4. interpreter

Jan 3, 2013
    Well I finally pulled the trigger and am coming over to the dark side... leaving OD and starting with SEC on the 12th. Going to be a whole new ballgame but I’m excited to learn something new. Any advice would be appreciated.

5. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Don't hurry, be efficient to get fast. That means having a routine for each load configuration, and sticking to it. You don't forget steps when you always do it the same way.

Learning curve is really steep, don't get discouraged the first month or so.

Oh... No tight turns when loaded!

6. CarhaulingKev

CarhaulingKev Bobtail Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Take your time, no need to rush. Also, ALWAYS, ALWAYS double and triple check that you’ve pinned all your decks!

BigBob410, Hulld and interpreter Thank this.
  7. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I second what Hammer and Kev said, mainly don’t get discouraged.
    Similar to what you are planning I also voluntarily left a very high paid, easy, strictly terminal to terminal driving job to become a car-hauler. What was I thinking? I need to remind you that it very likely will suck for a while. Nearly 8 years later I still occasionally think what did I do. Once I made my mind up failure or going back isn’t an option. You can make it work but it will not be easy especially while you are working harder for less money. If you can give yourself 6 months, you probably will like the job and hopefully the money will be close to what you make now.
    All that said I love my choice (most days), the rare days I don’t I just stick with it and remind myself that come dinner time I am at the house or the hotel instead of just starting my 12 hour shift. Good luck and I hope you like it.

BigBob410, Tropsnart, Hulld and 3 others Thank this.
  8. interpreter

Jan 3, 2013
    Just out of curiosity, how tight is tight? I’m used to being able to spin a set of doubles around. They turn a pretty tight circle but I’m used to looking out the window if I’m turning tight to the left to make sure they’re not gonna get bound up in the middle.

9. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    You know how you can pinch a dolly air line or hit the top front corner of the rear trailer on the rear of the front trailer if you spin too tight? Not that I ever did that. Lol With more than twice that space you will still get the tractor and trailer together on a carhauler. U-turns are not a car-haulers friend, even in Michigan where the roads are built with them in mind. They make turns better than a tandem road tractor and 53, but too tight an angle will get you in trouble. You will get accustomed to wide sweeping turns using all the space available just because it is available.

BigBob410, Hammer166, Hulld and 2 others Thank this.
  10. Batman19

Batman19 Bobtail Member

Apr 1, 2019
    I've working with LMR for years they have always been a great outfit to deal with.

interpreter Thanks this.
  11. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Empty you will get about 45 degrees out of the 5th wheel before you crunch something, loaded less.

The stinger steer design does take less room overall to turn, but where it is hard to adjust is parking, backing and turning around. You can't just whip around in a circle, it can even be challenging getting lined up with fuel islands and such in some areas until you get used to the differences.

Really, it is a truck and trailer combo, not tractor trailer, much like having a bumper pull trailer on your pickup truck or equipment trailer behind a dump truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.