Secondary Air won't build up.

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by malaika, Jan 4, 2022.

1. malaika

malaika Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Hello everyone.. I am having issues with my truck. 2007 freightliner Columbia D-60 . Drove 500miles and shutdown. Woke up to make delivery, at the dock, I realized I was loosing air, but I wasn't bothered as I thought I would build that back when ready to roll but that didn't happen.

Replaced Air compressor, dryer and leveler but secondary air won't build pass 75 while primary won't go pass 100. The shop however hooked the shop airline to the hose from compressor to dryer, won't build up. But it didn't build when when connected directly to dyer. Then after connected the line back to compressor and start truck. Pressure drops .

Do anyone have an idea what else to look into before paying for towing to the dealership.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    What is the weather by you. Might have ice in the system.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. malaika

malaika Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2022

The truck has been sitting in the shop with the heater on.

5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Did they replace the govenor? Should have an adjustment on it. I take it’s a straight Truck. No trailer. Maybe its put on wrong? Any leaks you can hear? Sometimes a plug is left out of the govenor, or put in a spot it shouldn’t be. . Shoukd only have one port open for a safety valve to exhaust. They’re universal to fit different ways. The plugs need to be in the right places. Can’t think of anything else. There’s one way valves on or between tanks I think, maybe one is bad? Just a guess. Adjust the govenor up if you can. Replace if you haven’t already. Set it at 130 -135. Hopefully someone that knows more will chime in. Good Luck,

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    xsetra Thanks this.
  6. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    I’m in Arkansas. We have frigid single digit temps sometimes. I’ve actually had to smack the dryer on occasion to get the air to come up.

7. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Mind was froze up, put half bottle of alcohol in the line off compressor. All good. Now the trailers froze up. Air bags won’t inflate, brakes won’t release. Put rest of alcohol in the glad hand lines. No go.

8. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I get my trailer from shop today. When I hook up, I'm putting some treatment in the glad hands. Last thing I need is condensation from shop air freezing when it gets in the teens outside air.
    Good luck getting yours thawed. I've taken air line off the rear airspring to release air and dislodge ice.

9. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Thanks. Half bottle of alcohol I had left did the trick. I’m at home, it’s been sitting longer than planned. It’s my fault, I know better.

xsetra Thanks this.
  10. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    A mega told me the alcohol ruins seals etc in the air system. Don’t use it.
    Secondary pulling the system down is an indication of things other than brakes themselves. Like air bags.
    Mostly it’s drain your water. Shouldn’t be getting a lot of water all the time. Make sure air dryer is working.
    I had a bad air dryer. Drained water 8 times a day. Sometimes would get water vapor spraying out.

11. malaika

malaika Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2022

Yes, brand new governor came with the brand new dryer . I replaced compressor and dryer

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.