Secret power inverter install in a company truck?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Count FurFur, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Count FurFur

Count FurFur Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2019
    My company only allows us to have a 300 watt inverter provided to you by them for a CPAP machine. They say if maintenance sees a power inverter installed in that truck that wasn't provided to you by them they will remove it discard it report you to corporate and you might get fired. Here's the deal, I like to eat healthy and I refuse to eat fast food crap.

when I was first hired on no one ever mentioned to me that you are not allowed to have a power inverter in your truck. this is the first I've ever heard of people not trying to have some type of appliance or the ability to have a TV in your truck. Any suggestions? no I'm not trying to get fired but I'm not going to give up my healthy lifestyle just because of what some idiot done way before me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Is there anything in the rulebook that forbids you from putting a porteble gasfired generator behind the cab?

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I think that would pertain to hazmat. But if you strapped down a small honda gennie, maybe even two of them in phase you can do whatever you like inside that sleeper if you can run the cable in through the side box. (Probably the left one) If the hondas off desiel then your fuel tanks will be the main supply from time to time. Your mileage would not change much if at all feeding those little things.

The potential on the other hand of losing those little gennies is pretty good. There are many places with light fingers walking off with stuff.

Since you are not wiring anything to the truck itself anywhere, you can tell your Bah Humbug Boss to stuff it. (And shut up...)

5. Count FurFur

Jan 4, 2019
    I was trying to think of a way of connecting the power inverter to the existing 4 batteries. I haven't put much thought into this other than I need a #### power inverter in this truck. After going to the middle of nowhere in Texas where there was no cell phone signal for over eighty miles nothing but dirt and flat Earth I learned real quick that I need to have a way to heat food.

I have not considered a generator and that to seems like you need to do some serious modifications with fuel and whatnot. #### I wish I had a Apu like these new trucks have

6. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Please do not attempt to install a power inverter. An incorrectly installed inverter can cause a fire and burn your tractor down.

Ever see those tiny plug in ovens that run off of a 12v cigarette lighter? You'll see 'em for sale at various truck stops that have a larger than average size store. I'm wondering if one of doodads would tickle your fancy.

And I got chuckle about your driving over eighty miles of flat earth. Dang that elusive curvature.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  7. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    The ONLY other way for "simeone" to do it without getting caught.. and I'm purely laying out a hypothetical solution here.. is to attach to said batteries each and every time with alligator clips.
    This can be achieved only if said truck allows ready access to said batteries without a circuitous navigation of external wiring.
    Said wiring needs to be as short as possible as to not overload any wiring from said batteries to any prospective inverter device. (2/0 less than 6ft for 2000w Inverter)

Alleged installation should be quick and simple with no visible evidence of tampering in said area remaining after each use.

This statement was provided free of charge and in no way encourages, or implies prior knowledge of any acts that may, or may not, pertain to this fix having been achieved previously.
    Any similar outcome to other parties experiences, past, present, or future, are purely coincidental.

8. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Probably be less of a hassle to change companies to one that either has APU's or allows a bigger inverter to be used. I worked for a company like his and it sucked. Their new trucks now have built in inverters and opti-idle systems instead of an APU, which sucks a little less.

As far as advice, not a lot you can do. The options of 12v appliances is a thought, but they don't really work all that well. A friend I work with lives on what his 12v lunchbox heater can do, but it takes forever compared to a regular microwave. All because he refuses to spend the money on an inverter he feels the company should be providing.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  9. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    My suggestion, find a better company.
    And let them know why on your way out.

10. Matt43324

Matt43324 Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Install it, remove it when you go to a terminal and just stick everything at the bottom of your suitcase. They can't discard your property....that's theft. Stealing ones property is illegal. Violating a company policy is NOT illegal.... fixing to do that to mine. Cold food is getting old

11. Count FurFur

Jan 4, 2019
    I don't know how these OTR and regional a guy's deal with not being able to use a microwave or have a TV in their sleeper. I think that's pretty unfair. I think the best solution is a generator but the ones that I've seen her very expensive. Y'all have any suggestions? I imagine a power inverter would be the cheapest option. I'm also curious about what to do when it gets really hot this summer. I don't like the idea of idling a truck

Aamcotrans Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.