Securing plate steel on my flatbed?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by SixShooterTransport, Oct 14, 2018.

1. SixShooterTransport

SixShooterTransport Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Picking up a load of 30’ long x 10’ wide plate steel tomorrow, supposed to be 44,000 pounds. I’m thinking it needs 5 chains across the top plus an “X” on the front and rear. Anything else I’m missing here? It’ll be 9 sheets stacked on top of each other, all equal size. Does anyone use a choke chain on loads like this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    A choke chain would have to be 35' long to wrap around it in traditional fashion...and nobody (outside of perhaps a specialized hauler who needs ridiculously long chains regularly) is going to carry anything like that. However, the fact that the load is wider than the trailer means that EVERY chain is effectively going to act as a choker, though.

To answer your question, though, I'd run chains across the top to at least meet the size & weight securement requirements, and then X in the front & rear to keep the plates from walking forward or rearward.

4. SixShooterTransport

Mar 4, 2018
    I agree. I do have a few of those G70 quick links though, so I could put two of my 20’ chains together if I needed to. I see what you’re saying though about each chain acting as a choke because of the width.

Now that I think about it, the “X” chains will also help keep the layers squared up together. That was my main concern with this load.

Thanks for the response!

DSK333, PoleCrusher and BigBob410 Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    10 feet wide?

You are oversize.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  6. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    He’s standing it up on edge on a low - pro step, so he can fit partials beside it. :)

7. SixShooterTransport

Mar 4, 2018
  8. SixShooterTransport

Mar 4, 2018
    Yes sir

jamespmack, Tug Toy and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I'm a little curious as to the "why" behind your method of attaching your chains. Looks as though both ends of each chain are attached to the same side of the trailer, and the binder is the only thing keeping the chains in place. If a binder works loose or fails, you'll be dragging a chain in no time. Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture (I can't see through the plate to see what you have going on beneath it). Just seems like you pulled twice as many chains as necessary off your headache rack, and I'm left wondering what I'm missing at the very least what your reasoning might be as to why you did it this way instead of the typical "one end of the chain on one side of the trailer, over the load, other end of the chain on the other side of the trailer, with the binder located somewhere in between". Even trying to double up chains to increase WLL, you're still limited by the WLL of the binder. Like I said, confused & curious.

roshea, jamespmack, BigBob410 and 3 others Thank this.
  10. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    ^^^^agreed. You lose strength securing (or not securing) each end of chain to trailer direct.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  11. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Those looks like 10’ chains. One hooked on each side. You can see the bungee holding the excess in place. I wouldn’t have spent the time with the bungees. The loose part of the chains not going anywhere

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.