Self driving truck LA to Jax

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by mustang190, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Ten years from now there will still be threads about self driving trucks and some of us will still pretend they will take over the industry.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigDog Trucker

BigDog Trucker Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2018
    A different company just had their truck make a trip from commiefornia to the philly area hauling a load of butter. I'm still wondering what happens when 3M blue collar jobs dissapear at the altar of greed and control?

Self-driving truck completes first cross-country freight delivery, drops off butter in Quakertown

4. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    the issue isn’t self driving trucks being totally driver less.

the more I look at it the more it looks like that making the truck so easy to drive that anyone can do it, so filling up the industry of drivers like flight attendants.

Even if full driverless trucks don’t get on the road they will be with a monkey behind the wheel to fix that dreaded “sued beyond oblivion” issue we have.

5. VA CDL Holder

VA CDL Holder Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    If it happens, it happens, crying about it will not stop it. When it is feasible and the bean counters think it makes sense, it will be adopted by the mega carriers first. Of course, I'm sure that they would like to eliminate the drivers at the highest levels of any mega carrier, more money for them and their brilliant management.

It seems as though the Teslas are crashing and burning every month or so. Hopefully, that will make some people who decide these things to take notice, but I'm not counting on it.

sdaniel Thanks this.
  6. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    if you are a truck driver, then you should be familiar with LONG drives, and as such then, long drives in your car, should not be uncomfortable, or stressed. you can stop anytime, any place and then be on your way. you can drive as long as you want, with no restrictions on drive time, break time, etc,etc.

self driving vehicles are for those that do not know how to drive and want to pass along the responsibility to others. in my opinion, as in the restriction for automatic transmissions in trucks? there ought to be a self driving restriction for car drivers as well..

need a rental car and a self driving car is NOT available.>??

take out your bicycle and pedal off....or call UBER, Lyft, or a taxi cab.

if truckers can be held to only automatics, then car drivers should also be held to restrictions, up to and including that YOU MUST stay in the far right lane, and let real people driving real vehicles have the rest of the roads.

HopeOverMope and mustang190 Thank this.
  7. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    with the current closure of Celadon, and who knows how many others in the coming years......will there really be any "mega-carriers"...??

8. LoneRanger

Jun 3, 2018
    if you give me enough money to lobby Congress I bet you I can get truck driving jobs listed under the eb3 visa requirements. Or with enough marketing I can convince the public that being a “truck engineer” aka steering wheel holder in a brand new semi autonomous semi will help launch a career in transportation ( montage of the cool things truckers do on the road like see monuments and cool places minus the pee bottles and the real crap we actually see ) I think there is room for a Amazon like career being born right there.

One way or another this industries wages are going down. Somethings going to give.

9. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    you put more unqualified workers into the industry, you drive down the pay, benefits, etc.

you will not get anyone interested in working for minimum wage and be away from home,. long periods of time, dealing with the public, etc,etc..over a job flipping burgers, which in time, will pay more, and be home daily.

10. LoneRanger

Jun 3, 2018

So what’s the difference now in trucking industry? More unqualified people entering with CDL mills giving them the key, the megas need to cut the last remaining bean down to a seed to save costs. Only place left is the driver.

11. VA CDL Holder

VA CDL Holder Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    A mega company that has no debt is hard to beat when it comes to the rate per mile, dry van or refrigerated. Just like the Walmartization of the USA put the mom and pop stores out of business on Main St. USA, a few big mega carriers are doing the same thing now in the trucking industry. This year must have been a record for trucking companies to go out of business. Just look at what happened to Swift, they had a lot of debt and got bought up by a company that had none.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.