Self Driving Trucks are Coming

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by scottied67, Jun 11, 2019.

1. dieselpowered

dieselpowered Heavy Load Member

May 16, 2016
    Well, I call BS also since when do engineer become expert on laws? who is this designer because I imagine it would be under lock and key even info to outside source on top that the designer? that doesn't even fill in the part it doesn't even mean he is an engineer. My thought is some rich dude can ask car look this way and that's a designer am I wrong because sometimes it's based on stupid ideas rather than function anyways especially nowadays. I know people from GM and they like there jobs they sure hell ain't giving me insider info either. there are so many hurdles to expect it in less than 20 be a miracle with all the issues they have currently.

peterd and starmac Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    I'm sure in computer models and a controlled environment, which is what engineers have to work with, it works just fine. I dont believe a computer has the ability to come up with the right thing to do in certain situations. I've had more than a few different computers just get slow on me, that will happen eventually to a computer driven truck. What happens when there's a software update and screws just a little something up that doesn't show up until the truck's out of control and on fire down a mountain? And this is all before the common everyday thing of giant June bugs splattering on camera lenses or a stray dog taking out the forward radar.

starmac Thanks this.
  4. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Man, you guys just have no faith in miners. Musk is one of the best miners of govt money there ever was, and will eventually just disappear. lol

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    If a linehaul driver is only making 50k, he needs to work elsewhere.

peterd Thanks this.
  6. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    its back in the ashtray,he said

Bakerman Thanks this.
  7. 88228822

88228822 Heavy Load Member

Sep 26, 2018
    this is like me saying in 2009 that I don't believe smartphones have the ability to run 3d games, so I don't need to worry about my computer store going out of business

my belief is irrelevant with respect to the progression of technology

go find a first gen touchscreen smartphone and compare its abilities with a recent model. there's an analogy for how self-driving truck technology will progress

faux_maestro and scottied67 Thank this.
  8. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    How ma y people did the issues in that first smartphone kill? You're apples and grenades here.

Ffx95 Thanks this.
  9. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    That’s my biggest issue with these self driving truck companies.

If you want a true self driving truck you’re going to need to stop relying on the camera technology and some sensors cause that’s not enough especially in poor visibility environments and bad roads. You’ll need to completely change road infrastructure. Make 2 roads one for manual driven vehicles ONLY and one for self driving vehicles ONLY and this road has to have some serious bells and whistles on it technology built into the road that gives the auto pilot vehicle information on variables so it can compute properly on what to do. This is going to cost HUNDREDS of billions of dollars if we’re doing this on a national scale.

Instead of doing it the only correct way I can see they’ll want to cheap out put some cameras and sensors have unproven software run it. Give a short little test drive in private roads and then risk everyone’s safety testing it on public roads. Sure nothing will properly happen when you only got 5-10 trucks nationally running this. But now bring it up to 1000 trucks someone is going to get really hurt or killed because when something messes up with the software or hardware it’s always a serious accident just look at what happen to some of the Tesla heard one guy got decapitated some time ago when it ran into a flatbed tow truck.

faux_maestro Thanks this.
  10. WildTiger1990

WildTiger1990 Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    faux_maestro Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.