Semi or doubles, which do you prefer for bulk?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by speedyk, Mar 16, 2018.

1. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    I'm going to have that option soon. I like aspects of both of them, don't mind more hose-wranging with doubles because it breaks up the monotony of watching the gauges. What I don't like is when they get squirrelly back there, like on steep grades.

What are other considerations?

Also, any health suggestions with lime, cement and fly ash? So far I've been issued dust masks which are optional, but I notice more dust in the cab when pulling away from being loaded than when I'm out working.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Most of the dust is not visible to your eye but regardless you should wear your respirator whenever loading, unloading and until all gear is stowed. Over a career those fine particles will take their toll on your health and its not pretty.
    Singles, doubles? Take the one that pays the most. Some places don't pay a premium for doubles/weight

speedyk Thanks this.
  4. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    Always move the hvac to inside air to reduce dust in the cab after loading or unloading and change the cabin air filter a lot more often.

When I was doing dry bulk I went to inside air before checking in to load or unload and I changed the cabin air filter at 45 to 60 days.

I also also wore my dust mask on every load or unload of any product that had a warning on the WHIMIS sheet for that product

speedyk Thanks this.
  5. AZ Pete

AZ Pete Medium Load Member

Dec 27, 2017
    Depends on what you’re doing. If it’s somewhere tight or you have to split the load,doubles will be better, if not, a semi trailer will be better.
    You will notice how much you get on yourself in a couple months. It will build up in your shower and washing machine.

speedyk Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    My lungs are lined with limestone dust. You should wear a face mask able to filter that finely. Limestone in powder form temporarily put me out of the bulk business for a while due to contamination in the lungs. They will probably sweep it out of the crematory when it's time lol.

I prefer a single trailer.

speedyk Thanks this.
  7. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Thanks all. These trucks are so old that I dunno if they have cabin filters, but they do have recirc.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.