Seperating the military and going back to trucking

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Scrappy, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Scrappy

Scrappy Bobtail Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Little Rock, AR
    I am getting ready to seperate the military after 6 yrs of service as a deisel mechanic. I have prior driving experience and still hold my CDL. I am going back to the Little Rock AR area.

I am wanting to find a job making at least 45000 per yr with good benefits and be home every other night or so. Now my question is.....is this possible or just wishful thinking? If so where should I start looking. Thanks in advance for any help given.

Scrappy

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kd5drx

kd5drx <strong>Master of Electronic Communications</stron

Nov 28, 2006
    Some where USA
    Dream on my young friend those are great wishes but not in the trucking industry unless you have a relative in the Teamsters and can get your foot in the door and be ready to starve for a few years till you work your way up in there program. As a regular driver that is almost a pipe dream if you find let me know and i'll come home from Iraq and take one of them.

4. Big Duker

Big Duker "Don Cheto"

Sep 18, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    :biggrin_25525:Check out Maverick, Watkins-Shepherd, Ruehl. Good luck.

5. lobshot

lobshot Sharpshooter

Dec 30, 2006
    With the economy in a tailspin, you might want to reconsider.

6. Truckerjo

Truckerjo Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    The only way (that I know of) you would be home every night or overnight would be to get a local job.. Then you are looking at hourly pay, this will be around $14-15-19 range.. $19 would be top pay for a local job and even then your probaly not going to hit $45,000 maybe though if they offer overtime..

Now if you get into a union job (almost impossible) you will start out around $20-21 and then you would get $45,000...

Most people in you position will have to drive OTR in order to get $45,000
    and wait till a local opens up..

Move to Texas and you could get a job paying that and be home every night...

7. northstarfire0693

northstarfire0693 Heavy Load Member

Jul 1, 2006
    AZ
    Move where in Texas.... I am in the Military and looking to do back to OTR I am not sure who to run with yet, I have 4 yrs OTR but I have been off the road for 6 years now.... I know it sounds wierd but I miss the road

8. L.B.

L.B. Third Generation Truck Driver

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    Look into Roehl's Veteran Program. You will use your GI Bill benefits as an apprenticship program and get paid a salary for two years. The two together come to around 45K/year if memory serves correct.

9. northstarfire0693

northstarfire0693 Heavy Load Member

Jul 1, 2006
    AZ
    I will take a look at them..Thanks for the info. I wonder what the apprenticship program is about. Again Thanks for the info.

10. rookietrucker

rookietrucker Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS
    I don't know what the local driving in little rock pays. Your asking alot to start and being home every night. Not saying it isn't possible but being realistic.
    My suggestion to you, if you want to be home every night. You say your a diesel mechanic. I would get certified and find a mechanic position locally. I believe your pay would be in that neighborhood your wanting and being home every night. Just my thought on this. Good luck

11. Truckerjo

Truckerjo Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/trucking-jobs/38092-great-jobs-in-texas.html

Check out that thread

If you are wanting to get home every other night then OTR will not be for you.. Most OTR is home 14 days out 2 home and some offer weekends..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.