Serious question to any and all owner operators.... please

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by AnotherDriver, May 28, 2013.

1. AnotherDriver

AnotherDriver Bobtail Member

May 28, 2013
    Hello, company driver here and looking to become an o/o . Should I start with a lease purchase company first? I guess I'd like the pros and cons ..... as far as just going to a place to buy a truck and do my own freight searching or a lease program to start. Anyone with experience please help..... I drive N.E regional and am tired of getting a low cpm. Thank u

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavy Hammer

Heavy Hammer Road Train Member

May 1, 2013
    In purgatory
    I would not do a lease purchase from a trucking company deal.
    Best reasons not to;
    -if the job becomes compromised (unpleasant, difference of opinion, loss of significant customer, etc) you can't terminate your "job" with said carrier to put the truck on with another carrier with a better prospectus.
    -a truck is a tool to do a job! The "real money" is in the trailer! What you haul, how specialized/good you are at it, therefore the more premium rate you can charge/be paid so that the truck actually yields a PROFIT. It is a business after all, do you want to buy a truck to be a truck driver, or are you a businessman? That is the real question.

My opinion, only reasons to;
    -easy
    -no, or very little initial capital investment. Very poor business plan!

4. BoyWander

BoyWander Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    I don't think you would make enough to warrant having all that headache...unless $1200 a week is enough for you. I make almost that much driving someone else's, I can't think of why I would want to buy my own for the chance at making a couple hundred dollars more.

The only way I think I would even consider a lease purchase from a carrier is if the truck got really good fuel economy, and I was guaranteed a dedicated route where I would know how much I'd be grossing on a week to week basis, then I would know what kind of numbers I'm looking at.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Never get your truck where you get your loads.

Never get your loads where you get your truck.

6. AnotherDriver

AnotherDriver Bobtail Member

May 28, 2013
    Young and have seen better credit scores then mine, so initial start up capital would be low and that's why I was asking because the lease purchase sounds like a well worded never ending contract and a truck on its last leg.... I'd really only be looking to start with a van Trailer hauling nothing that would require any special permits. Until revenue started coming.... Finding a broker seems to be easier now with the internet but what type of insurance would I need? Other then the business and truck I mean.... would I have to insure each load accordingly????

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. Heavy Hammer

Heavy Hammer Road Train Member

May 1, 2013
    In purgatory
    This is not really a question for random people on the Internet.
    The best advise I can give you is to find an O/O with LOTS of experience that you know and respect, take them for dinner and ask them for guidance. This is more of a conversation than a question.
    The last young person that came to me really seeking guidance on this, our first discussion was about 4hrs. It's not a yes or no question.

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I went to a meeting with Greatwide, when they were awarded a contract for dedicated account. We were told, "go find your own truck & we will arrange financing plus $1000.00 toward your downpayment." I didn't take the offer, because I found a good tanker job. My friends took the offer and most did quite well. The ones that failed, got a used tractor from a used truck lot & the maintenance costs broke them. The majority & success stories, bought their used tractors from dealership trade-in lots, mostly Freightliner & Volvo dealerships. This was not a lease to own deal. Check the website if something like that interests you. They even offered, for a small monthly fee, to do all your business book keeping/record keeping or you can do it yourself.

Also, check the OOIDA website; a good sourse of information for 0/0's and small fleet owners.

Rick_C and landstar8891 Thank this.
  9. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    It is never a good idea to lease a truck from the carrier to whom it will be leased. Payments are much too high and as others have stated, you will leave the truck with the carrier should you leave before the end of the lease. Rates with most of these carriers who do lease trucks is normally low mileage rates. You would be much better off if you either saved your money for a good down payment (usually 10-30%) or pay cash. You should keep your payments as low as possible. I would not want to start with a payment of more than $1,200/month, preferable under $1,000/month. You also need to have money set aside for major repairs. ALL trucks break, including those right off the showroom floor. It isn't a matter of if, but when they will break. Having a warranty is no guarantee that any breakdown will be covered, especially the tow bill. I would not worry about which brand is better starting out. Instead, I would encourage you to look at value for the money. Many drivers never seem to be able to make the transition from driver to businessman. Once you buy a truck you are no longer a driver. You are a businessman who happens to drive a truck. Don't fall in love with any truck, it is only a tool a businessman uses to earn a living and make his business work. There is no reason a good used truck won't make money for you as long as you check out the truck, or pay someone else to check it for you. There are some good values around, but it can take time to find them.

Financing your truck can be a challenge, especially with today's banking environment. There are lenders who do class 8 truck loans, but not all banks make them. Most consider them as high risk and for good reason. Most dealers have financing sources, but you will pay a premium for their sources. It will be much better for you to find your own financing before you even start to look for a truck. Your current bank or credit union would likely offer more favorable terms than anything a dealer would offer. There are also legitimate leasing companies that lease trucks and you own it when you make the last payment.

If you lease a truck to a carrier, you are only required to have bobtail or unladen liability insurance on your equipment. Your lender will usually require that you have collision or comprehensive insurance on the equipment until it is paid off. Carriers will also require that you carry either workers comp or an occupational accident insurance policy in case you get injured on the job.

If you get your own authority you are required to have a minimum of $750,000 in liability coverage. However, most shippers and brokers require that you have at least $1 million in liability and $100,000 in cargo insurance. You don't need bobtail insurance if you run your own authority and own your equipment.

BoyWander, highspeed1972 and chalupa Thank this.
  10. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    You shouldn't even think of buying your own truck and getting your own authority . You can't compete with carrier rates . As others said , lease purchase is also a bad decision .
    Have you considered being a driver for an expedite fleet owner ? They do have tractors and you get to choose the loads you pull . It would give you experience until you have funds to buy a tractor . Lease companies like Ryder and Penske are a good place to buy good , well maintained tractors . Some have been leased to small private carriers .

11. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Jeez, for that matter there should never be ANY O/O according to you RickG. And that's about as far from the truth as you can get.

O/O fill a very important part of the transportation market and can very much make a profit and respectable living out here.

landstar8891 and BoyWander Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.